Forums are back in action! ×

Standing for long periods

My job entails me standing for long periods of time with periods of bending over, and by the end of the day my lower back tends to really hurt. I try to keep good posture, but by the end of the week I'm hurting. I try crouching instead of bending over sometimes, but my bad knee won't stand for that for very long and I don't always have the room to do so. I do some lifting, but it's not much really.

Have ideas to help work situations where you stand for a long time?

Guest guest4729

Stretching. More specifically, stretching of the muscles in and around your back. Whenever I have back pain I do some stretches. As a waitress I'm standing and walking for about 5-10 hours a day depending on my shift(s). Like last night. I was there from 2pm to 11:30pm. We were so busy all day that I didn't get a restroom break or a break to sit down. Needless to say after driving home I had a hard time getting out of my car...

work on your back bends...do cat/cow (or cat/camel or whatever)...do downward facing dog into upward facing dog and back again...in mountain pose (basically, standing up) work on back bends, but do not thrust out your hips to allow a bigger bend...keep shoulders and hips above/below each other...just bend the back

cat/cow is where you get on all fours, inhale and bend back in and look up (this is the cow/camel)

hold for a couple sec, then slowly exhale while sucking in your gut, round your back, pull in your tailbone like a cat (cat, go figure)

bad descriptions probably, google it

the basic idea is, if you're bending 1 way a lot it's going to catch up with you...so, stretch it out the other way...kind of a ying/yang thing

if your lower back is stiff/sore it's probably a good bet that your hamstrings are tight; so stretch those out too...forward bends, child's pose, again with the down/up facing dog...did i mention forward bends? do those, don't bounce...just hang there and breath

when i start my forward bends i'm about 6" from the floor...by the time i'm done, i'm almost full palms behind my feet stretched out

hope this helps

Like Loren said, shoes are a biggie! I used to have to stand all day when I worked in a deli. Once I invested in shoes with a thicker sole, I stopped getting as much pain.

Walk a little whenever you can, even if it's just to the water cooler or bathroom (I used to walk up and down the deli). Also, if you're standing still, go up on to your toes and back down, this helps your circulation.

I actually have been trying to increase my standing time because it helps burn more calories, but if your lower back is starting to hurt the most important thing you can do is make sure you not only stretch your back but take care of the muscles that are causing the tension to form in the first place.

The lower back or spinae erectors are very reactive muscles. Pulling on them from the gluteus and hamstrings or over strong quadriceps and shortened hip flexors all put strain on the area so you want to make sure your muscles are balanced and all stretched nicely. Best of luck!

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

See I have the same problem while stretching I can definitely do even at work. (retail.. so stretch in the dressing rooms for a few moments or in my breakroom) but the thick soles are nearly impossible to do. the company does not like us wearing sneakers only shoes. so I'm stuck with flat shoes or heels with no cushion :( No bueno. I feel your pain!

I'm a teacher too. I have a big classroom, when we had to wear pedometers I was getting 7-8000 steps in day, before I left school. My back hasn't hurt me, but my knees did for a while. Solid shoes helped a lot, Red Wing boots FTW; sneakers, however, made my knees hurt. I also started to using Superfeet insets a couple of years ago when I got plantars fasciitus, it took a few months, but it cleared it up.

I don't understand the distinction between crouching and bending over, it seems like both are hinging at the waist, which would hurt your back after a long day. It sounds like you're teaching little kids and are going down to eye level? When I taught first and second grade I went down on my knees a lot, it puts you at eye level without bending over them - saves your back and you aren't menacing the timid ones. If your knee can't take that, maybe you need to strengthen or rehab it.

I hope this helps.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Guest guest4729
I do have problems with one knee, but the main reason is that we're not supposed to be on our knees and we get chewed out if an administrator walks by and sees. I am with little ones, and we're supposed to be "on our feet" the whole time unless teaching in a circle and the whole class is seated. They don't even let us have desks.

That's just ridiculous. If you're standing above the kids the whole time how can you teach them more effectively? Kids like it when you come down to their level. *sigh* Anyways...just try and get stretches in any time possible is what I'd do. If you can do stretches just do them. Perhaps it's in between classes, or perhaps it's during your lunch break. Get them in while you can. I would also suggest maybe doing them before and after work? Might help relieve some pain.