Forums are back in action! ×

My name is Natalie. I'm 14 and I live in Rancho Cordova, California. I'm about 20 pounds overweight and I honestly can't remember if I've always been like that or not. I never noticed until middle school PE, where suddenly everyone was skinny and pretty and I was dressing down next to girls that looked like they should have been in magazines. I had no idea what to do about it, so I figured, "Well, it's PE, right? It should get me in shape." Few years later, and I'm a high school freshman, I look exactly the same if I haven't gained a couple pounds, and I've finally realized I better do something about it before I end up a fat cat lady. A couple months ago I started poking around, looking for a basic guide to parkour (yup, that's the dream, coming from the kid who can't run more than half a mile without walking a bit), and I ended up on Nerd Fitness. I figured it'd be perfect for me since I've always been a nerd, so I've spent the past two months perusing the articles here. Now I've finally joined, guess I better get my rear in gear for fear of looking like the only idiot here on the message boards, what with all these success stories. Going Paleo's definitely going to be tough, considering I was pretty much raised on grains (meat, until we moved here to Rancho, was a rarity because the nearest grocery store was fifteen minutes away, and no one ever thought about it until the pasta water was already boiling), but it's the best start I can see. I've been doing some of the recommended exercises from here on NF, doing my best not to suck, and, uh... I guess there's my introduction, it's already too long. Thanks for reading!

Welcome! It's a good idea to set really defined goals of what you want to achieve, so that you can set a realistic path to meeting them. Then you can have your own success story! Everyone has their own pace, so just keep at it! One day at a time. :)

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle

If you have the inspiration, you have the talent. Strive to be happy. :)

welcome to the community! there are lots of small things you can do to improve your diet if you don't want to completely change everything. and since youre young, small changes will make a bigger difference than it would for someone older. also, you could still be growing. alot of people around your age get a little chubby and then thin out a bit as their body matures. but, certainly eating healthy and exercising is good regardless since it's what your body needs to thrive.