Forums are back in action! ×

Nutrition advice for a weightlifting noob

Okay guys I need your help once again!!

I'm doing strong lifts 3 times a week (so trying to build some sexy muscle) and I realize to gain muscle you need to get in adequate protein (probabaly 126 for me (as that is my weight in pounds) although i have yet to hit that) at a caloric surplus ( I'm only getting around 1700 right now (2000 is probably my maintenance) but as I still have fat to lose I'm scared to death to gain fat and not see my hard earned muscles). But how does this translate to days that I'm not lifting? I do HIIT on the treadmill 2 days a week a long run (3miles) on the weekend and a rest day on my non lifting days. Are my calorie and protein needs the same on these days or do I need to cut back back on calories as not to gain fat and dial down my protein because im not breaking down muscle tissue that day??

I would keep it as simple as possible to start. You know to get enough protein and that's the big thing. If you're hitting 1700 Calories consistently and your performance is ok stick with it for a month and see what happens. We are always in a rush to complicate things beyond all get out when cold hard consistency is the real magic. If you find you're more hungry certain days (after workouts ect) go ahead and eat more on those days but again, don't become a slave to some arbitrary plan. In the beginning it's far more important to simply know what you're doing and how it affects you rather than worry about optimizing it. In fact because the latter is impossible without the former.

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs