Forums are back in action! ×

Proof that high reps, light weight don't work for me...

I started losing weight more than a year ago by taking a Body Pump by Les Mills class (basically a cardio, high rep, light weight lifting class that goes through squats, chest, back, triceps, biceps, lunges, shoulders, abs). I took that class with friends2-3 times a week for a year and it definitely helped. However, the last 3-4 months of doing it(before I started the rebel fitness guide), I had been stuck at the same weights and just generally hating it... so I stopped and moved onto the body weight exercises and the level 1 and 2 of rebel fitness guide.

My BFF asked me to go with her today, I said sure and figured I'd go light and count it as my cardio for the day as its not a weight day for me.

Apparently my new "light weights" is now heavier than I ever had on the bar in that class before. It was really odd, but satisfying, to find myself needing to almost double my previous weights on all the tracks.

12 months of that class didn't give me that kind of growth, but a month of free weights did. :victorious:

Tiffany -Elven Ranger & Derby Girl
STR 7 | DEX 5 | STA 4 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 3
@moxie_hart. Tumblr. Fitocracy

That's awesome.

Low weights and high reps isn't good if you want to get stronger, but it is good for building endurance-- last challenge the strength squad had a mini challenge where we took about half our bodyweight and tried to squat it fifty times. Most or all of us made it, but everyone else was complaining that they couldn't walk afterwards. I had just finished a program where I did four sets of twenty reps on squats while holding a twenty-five pound dumbbell in each hand, so after that, squatting sixty-five pounds for only fifty reps wasn't that bad, and I could still run up the stairs to the second and third floor when I went to work later that day.