Forums are back in action! ×

Climbing a mountain (figuratively and literally): what to eat?

Hi all. Me again. As always, I need to start with a thank you. You all inspire me so dang much to keep my shit together and stay on the right path. After a youth filled with overworking, overdrinking, and undersleeping, you all have helped me put it back together. So thanks again. I’m on the ascent.

And that brings me to my next point/question. I’ve always been a climber, in college and just after you could probably have described me as a climbing “bum,†but then I moved to NYC and discovered martinis, so that got put on hold for awhile. Fast forward 6 years and I’m in a new, better (awesome!) job in a more relaxed place and I will finally be getting back into climbing. Mountaineering specifically.

I’m climbing Mt. Washington with a group in early February. It’s only about an 8 mile hike out and back, but it’s a good 4,000 ft of elevation gain in what generally is accepted to be some of the worst weather in the world. So the question is: what should I eat?

We’re descending back to the lodge both nights as it’s sort of a two-day workshop type deal, so dinners shouldn’t be a concern, but I’ll have to keep my energy up both days, and most importantly on the summit day. Are there any outdoorsy paleo folks with good ideas for quick (like, edible with one gloved hand), clean (I don’t want to have to haul 20 apple cores back down) and light (a jar of almond butter will probably not do…) snacks I can shove in my gullet in what will probably be at or below zero temps to keep me going?

Thanks in advance.

Z

I make my own Paleo energy bars with things like nuts & dried fruits- there are a ton of recipes on the web for these. My absolute favorite snack is a stuffed date (I usually stuff mine with chopped nuts/dried fruit rolled in almond butter. To die for! You can also stuff them with bacon, equally delicious. Beef jerky is another good snack.

I do bring apples and I will admit, I do leave the cores in the woods/on the mountain.

Best of luck!

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lies an invincible summer." - Albert Camus

"Moving on and Moving up" Challenge

ok so. washington isn't an easy hike, and it is an ALL DAY hike.

i did it back in october (and for the record, it was 70 at the bottom and snowing hard at the top)

so first, ziploc bags are your friend and work great instead of tupperware or jars.

second, foods:

sweet potatoes. slice up in wedges and bake.

nuts and dried fruits

ants on a log (celery with almond butter and raisins or cranberries on top)

chicken breast. seriously. bake it, leave it plain. put in ziploc bag. itll stay good for the day.

chicken sausage. again - super easy, precooked, just eat like that.

hamburger patties

apples (put the cores in the ziploc bags you brought your other food in, though i usually throw them into the woods)

larabars

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

If you don't want to make your own paleo bars there are always Lara bars. The base is almost always dates and they use real, mostly paleo-friendly ingredients. I buy mine at Trader Joe's and am sure they have them at Whole Foods and the like.

And why are you climbing the mountain?

Your fault for your title making me think of this. If it's going to be stuck in my head I'm going to take as many down with me as possible.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

Thanks all. Great recommendations. I was hoping not to be that weird guy with twelve sticks of salami in his pack.

@The Tin Man: Fretfully I'm at work and the byzantine security prohibits me from watching that video, so I don't know what the joke is. However I'm sure it's hilarious. I'm climbing it because I love mountains and want the skills to climb bigger ones. I ski, hike, and fly-fish, and I always stare up at these summits and basically want to be on them. So it'll be Washington, then Rainier in the Spring, then Denali, then...Himalayas hopefully. Or the Andes.