Forums are back in action! ×

About me
I'm 42 and thought I should make this meaning of life year meaningful before I move on to 43 in 2.5 months. I've lost and gained the same 10 lbs for the last 3 years. I lost 40 lbs a number of years ago, but then life happened and I gained it back. I've never been what anyone would call an active person, but I do really like to walk (fast) and enjoy the sunshine and fresh air with my big dawg. Of course, I celebrated the cooler weather here in Texas by pushing myself too hard to jog more than I was ready to do and gave myself a lovely case of plantar fasciitis a week ago, so now I have to take it easy for a while.

My family doesn't do cancer, we do heart disease and arthritis. I've managed to avoid the heart issues so far, but I've got pretty severe degenerative arthritis in multiple joints (knees and TMJ) and am planning to have bilateral TMJ replacement this winter (yay). My short term goal is to get healthy (healthier) in preparation for the surgery so I can minimize risks and have a smoother recovery, but it's time for me to grow up and start really taking care of myself in general.

I figure some of my mindset info is a decent enough introduction for the health aspects of my plans...

The Big WHY
I hate that feeling when I see myself in a candid picture and realize how blobbish and unattractive I must appear all the time and don’t even realize it and actually thought I looked pretty good that day. I want to get control of who I am and what I look like so I don’t feel that disappointment and disgust anymore.

Goals (long term and mini)
I’m somebody who weighs 145 lbs and is strong enough to do 10 real pushups, a real pull-up, and run (not just walk) a 5k.
I will do 30-40 min of pilates/yoga video 6 days a week.
When my injured foot is better, I will alternate days using pilates/yoga videos with walking/jogging outside at least 5 miles (my normal route is 5.5 mi).

I’m somebody who eats food off of plates using silverware and drinks out of glass glasses.
I will cook healthy meals following paleo nutrition guidelines 6 days a week.
I will rid my kitchen of grains and junk.
I will drink alternate one glass of water/coffee/tea with every can of Diet Coke.

I’m somebody who practices good self-care.
I will get 8 hours of sleep each night.
I will journal my feelings instead of medicating them with junk food.
I will exercise my mind by reading and completing my PhD.

• Like 1