Forums are back in action! ×

Looking to get back on track

Hey everybody.  My name is Mike, 26, and I'm from the great state of beer and cheese; Wisconsin.

I joined up here because I've been looking to get back into better shape as I used to be.  I worked in a fairly physical job throughout high school and college, was a little overweight at the time, averaging between 180-200 pounds at 5'10", but had plenty of strength.  Two years ago, I entered my field of study, Mechanical Design Engineering, which I'm mostly at a desk all day.  I also moved in with my girlfriend at that time.  Between going from a physical job, to a desk job, and not really caring about my diet, my weight rocketed up to 265 at its peak.  

This last February, my girlfriend and I decided to make the change and started eating healthier and joined a local gym.  We always go together, and working slightly different hours means we generally go to the gym for 60-90 minutes 2-3 times a week.  While this has done wonders so far, I'm currently down to about 230 pounds and regained a lot of strength, I've hit a bit of a plateau recently with my weight loss, so I am looking to change up my workout again to get over the hurdle.  That's where joining this forum should come in handy.  I'm here to learn and expand my knowledge of fitness and hopefully restart my weight loss to get back to my goal.

This next year's going to be a big one for us.  We're going to be getting engaged soon, and are looking to buy our first house.  I'd like to make getting in shape a top priority for this next year as well.

I can't wait to read everything I can from the forum to try and absorb all the knowledge I can.

Hi Mike, 

Nice to read about your journey thus far!

I hear you on the desk job/lack of exercise. I'm an accountant and some days can spend 12 hours sitting looking at a computer screen. My profession provides a lot to our life, but fitness definitely isn't one of the benefits! Ha ha.

I'll be following your journey closely and wish you the best!