Forums are back in action! ×

New to the community

Hey everyone.  I just realized that my initial post (below) has evolved into more of a story.  So let me start here.  I’m a gamer, computer nerd, and all around geek.  I sit in front of a computer for pretty much 13-15 hours every day, including work.  Below are my reasons for being here.  I hope you read it all, but if not, it’s ok.  *wave* I hope to get to know you all.

Hey all.   6 months ago I made a choice that I want to feel better.  I’m not looking to look like a competition ready body builder, but I’m tired of being the overweight gamer/computer geek that I’ve turned into since leaving active duty Air Force.

For my kids, but this time is for me, and with your help, permanent. 

I come from a background of high activity, and a good knowledge of the mechanics of working out and general fitness.  High School had me in football with one of the toughest coaches in Cali at the time.  Said coach now is coach for a college, a published author, and mens health magazine contributor.  During that time in my life, when getting my wisdom teeth out, I found out that my resting heart rate was 54 bpm, and it required them to give me a special drug when they put me under or my heart would stop.  From there I joined the Air Force.  High activity level, and mandatory fitness.

I don’t say any of that to boast or brag, only put into context how far I have fallen.  I now have high blood pressure, am pre diabetic, and get winded just going up a flight of stairs.  My problem is that first, I eat crap.  Mac & Cheese is my single biggest weakness.  Put that in front of me and I will eat it all and ask for more.  That was never an issue before because I had a high enough activity level to just burn off the calories anyway, which brings me to number two.  Second, my activity level tanked down to zero, while my gaming & computer habit stayed the same.

I’m a nerd, and a gamer, and I need a community.  I know my problems, I think I know the solutions.  But knowing doesn’t get me out there to actually do what I need to do.  That is where I hope this community comes in.  I want to make lasting friendships here.  I want and need people that I can converse with on a daily basis to help motivate me to go do what I need to do, when I will try to find reasons not to.  I found Nerd Fitness while looking for a community.  I saw a few of the articles through my RSS reader, The Legend of Zelda workout, and all the other references that just screamed to me that this was where I need to be.

Sorry for the long post, but I’m really excited to see this place.  And I really hope that you all will bust my @$$ as many times as needed, and I’ll gladly do the same in return if asked.  If you have any questions, please let me know.