Forums are back in action! ×

Just Started Today

I am a skinny fat guy. I am the guy that dresses correctly, so any time I mention trying to get in shape, people think I'm ridiculous, but that's just because I hide it well. I am 5' 9"  and 180 pounds and carry most of that in my stomach. My father was 360 pounds prior to his health issues, so not following his footsteps is a motivation for me.

A year ago, I started to get serious. I knew it would be long and slow. I started with nutrition only. Using My Fitness Pal to track and monitor my calorie and portion size, I went from 205 pounds (August 2014) down to 171 pounds (May 2015). That was without adding any exercise. I've put 9 pounds back on in the past few months because...well...I discovered root beer...and "Not your father's root beer". I think now that I have a grip on the nutrition side (minus the root beer, which is going away, only 1 more bottle in the fridge), I am ready to add the exercise component.

I am a little active. I play in an indoor soccer league, which is high intensity for 50 minutes straight.

I have a few goals:

1 - I would like to get stronger. That is, have defined muscles all over (not just my legs...soccer...remember...)

2 - I would like to be at or near 170, which I know might not be possible depending once I achieve my strength goals, but in the journey there, I think 170 is easily doable for the journey.

There are a few other short-term goals along the way. Partly, I need to keep up with my wife who does half-marathons and is overall a beast. I'm not sure how engaged I will be on the forum until I dig in. But it is nice to externalize a few things...

A year ago, I started to get serious. I knew it would be long and slow. I started with nutrition only. Using My Fitness Pal to track and monitor my calorie and portion size, I went from 205 pounds (August 2014) down to 171 pounds (May 2015). That was without adding any exercise. I've put 9 pounds back on in the past few months because...well...I discovered root beer...and "Not your father's root beer". I think now that I have a grip on the nutrition side (minus the root beer, which is going away, only 1 more bottle in the fridge), I am ready to add the exercise component.

Not your father's root beer is a horribly wonderful thing! I was at a brewery in San Deigo and they had a draft one. Was so hard not to have more than 1! Sometimes it's best to just not keep it around... 

Welcome to NF and hope to see you around the challenges!

Try not, do or do not- Yoda