Forums are back in action! ×

Ideas...? Frustrated.

When I started here and made a plan to be active on a regular basis, I had already given myself a lovely case of plantar fasciitis (which has NOT improved). So I thought I'd take it easy and do pilates and yoga for a few weeks to recover and then resume walking/jogging again. I'm naturally bendy, but could definitely stand to work on strength.

Well now, just a week in, I've managed to do something to my hip during warrior poses. It feels all inflamed in the joint and hurts to lift my knee, push my extended leg against resistance, and even to plank. 

I swear I'm not looking for excuses to get out of exercise, and I'm not a wuss when it comes to pain. But I've also got serious arthritis throughout my body (though not diagnosed in my hips - yet) and know that working through sharp pain is not good for my joints. So I've got to wait for the inflammation to go down and then go back to working on strengthening the supporting muscles (assuming I can figure out which ones are involved with this and how I've been using them wrong).

I'm just frustrated and venting. I thought I had a decent plan for activity. I guess I'll focus on my nutrition...? I did manage to lose 3.5 lbs in the last week in spite of everything, so there's that.

Food will be the key to weight loss. Make sure you're doing your best to get the right amount of good for you food. 

are you able to do any walking? even getting a little bit of movement in is better than nothing!

hips, you might look into strengthening your quads and glutes, but also make sure that you're balancing that out with some light stretching. 

If/when you go back to yoga, know it's fine to modify poses. Don't go as deep, or if you cant do one, going into child's pose is always an option and sit that particular pose out. 

You can get through this! 

Try not, do or do not- Yoda

See if you can find an instructor specialized with arthritis and modifying poses to suit.  My mother in law is certified in Tai Chi for arthritis and knows a couple of yoga instructors that specialize in arthritic patients.  Maybe your rhumatoligist (sp - friggin arthritis doctor) can put you in touch with someone in your area?

My Battle Log 

I'm on Strava for my running now.

Check out Kick! too.  You unlock gear with your progress on Strava.

Perhaps non-weight bearing things? When I had a severe knee injury in college I taught myself how to swim and got in great shape doing that. Alternately water jogging/walking is a great way to stay in shape for ground jogging/walking but without the stress on your joints. I'd echo what others have said as well that perhaps finding a physical therapist or doctor to help draft a training program could really put you on the right path.

Congrats on keeping your diet choices strong though!