Forums are back in action! ×

My first babystep towards paleo dieting. Raw honey sweetened tea.

I love raw honey in my tea. You can also use it when you make iced tea. The flavor ends up being a little floral depending on what kind of honey you are using, but it's subtle and delicious.

"Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform. "-Mark Twain
“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.†– Winston Churchill
“You will either step forward into growth or you will step back into safety.†– Abraham Maslow

Wood Elf Adventurer LEVEL 6.817
Stats: STR-18.62 DEX-8.22 STA-19.05 CON-29.72 WIS-30.26 CHA-22.73

Just a tip if you would like it. I took sweetener for years in my coffee and tea, until one day a colleage told me to bear with it (no sweetener) for 1 week. He was right, for exactly one week it tasted horrible and I struggled, but on day 8 I was happy as larry drinking unsweetened brews, and haven't looked back. Perhaps you could try it :)

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually afraid to make one. - Elbert Hubbard

Naturally is correct and that is exactly how I beat sugar then agave then honey in my coffee. That said, Loren, honey isn't only just refined sugar and much recent information shows that eating local honey (raw, unpasteurized, organic if you can get it) has been shown to significantly boost immune function especially in those suffering from summer allergies. It is also a great expectorant for congestion and an antibacterial agent. Besides the beauty applications as it is great in face masks and soothing as a moisturizer having a few teaspoons of honey a day is better by far than consuming processed sugar. Just my two cents...during my time as a vegan I ate a lot of local honey and did a lot of research into its benefits. I eat almost nothing sweet now so honey fell out of my diet, but if I feel a bit chesty, I take a tablespoon before doing anything else!

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

Hmm, honey is just mostly sugar and will make your blood sugar peak and crash just the same, which is what the paleo diet is trying to avoid.

It's hard but if you force yourself to go cold turkey on all sweet tastes (non cal sweetner included) your taste buds do change.

But still, good luck, small changes are great and paleo has really worked for me.

Honey is basically the same as most sugar syrups (natural or synthetic). It contains approximately 40% fructose and 30% glucose. Wiki has an average break down of honey's molecular composition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey#Nutrition

So it will be used in the body the same as any other combination of simple sugars. Over the last year I've found that dialing back on sweetener all together works better than trying to replace one sweetener with another (and yes, I've done raw honey, agave and stevia). Good on you for looking for substitutions, I'd just recommend lowering the amount all together :).

Level 0 Undine Druid

"I am a nice shark, not a mindless eating machine. If I am to change this image, I must first change myself. Fish are friends, not food.†~ Finding Nemo

June challenge thread.