Forums are back in action! ×

hi!

so as you've probably already figured out, i'm new around here.

I'm 26, and some sort of what you call a web developer, which aparantly makes me a total nerd. i try to deny my nerdiness on a daily basis, but I think people are on to me. Signing up for a site called 'nerdfitness' is not going to help my case.

so let me see - my story? i started off a few years ago, having gained 5-10 lbs a year when i was in college. when i finally realized that waving around the wiimote like a sword was not going to help me lose any weight at all, i decided to do something about it, and joined weight watchers (sit on my ass and still lose weight? YES!).

ww helped some, but not really, so i decided to join a gym. i started working out a few times a week (just cardio, of course) and was feeling really good about myself. so i signed up for a session with a personal trainer. the personal trainer put me through the most intense workout session that i had ever been through, and i lost the ability to sit and stand for three whole days. instead of looking at that as a challenge, i didn't go back for about 3 months.

i guess i just wasn't ready.

when i finally decided to go back, i decided to ignore what everyone around me was telling me and just do things how i wanted to. i did a lot of research on fitness, and i started adding weights into my routine, and i set up a bunch of mini goals for myself, including an 'ultimate never going to reach but setting it anyways' goal for myself of wearing a size 7 (actual weight never really mattered to me).

I never thought I'd be someone that would enjoy healthy living or going to the gym. It's now a necessary part of my life. As for that 'ultimate never going to reach but setting it anyways' goal? I lost almost 50 pounds - and I now wear a size 0.

So I guess you could say that I've already won my weight loss battle - now I'm focusing on becoming strong and awesome. Because even though I've come a long way, I've got a lot further to go.

oh, and i eat paleo (and have been ever since i got kicked out of weight watchers). thats how i found this site.

also, i fully plan on doing the 28 day challenge (one of the reasons i finally caved and registered here) so you'll see my updates there soon :)

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

also, i fully plan on doing the 28 day challenge (one of the reasons i finally caved and registered here) so you'll see my updates there soon :)

You can fight but we'll always get you in the end!

Sounds great that you've already nailed the weightloss, I'm personally in the final stages of tweaking and man it's crazy "fun"

I hate personal trainers who put their clients through a brutal brutal workout for their first time. How will it not lead to demoralisation?

If you want some fun workouts to help you with strength I'll personally recommend kettlebells. I can't get enough of them and I'm noticeably stronger because of them.

If you want to yarn sometime just say hi :)

You can fight but we'll always get you in the end!

Sounds great that you've already nailed the weightloss, I'm personally in the final stages of tweaking and man it's crazy "fun"

I hate personal trainers who put their clients through a brutal brutal workout for their first time. How will it not lead to demoralisation?

If you want some fun workouts to help you with strength I'll personally recommend kettlebells. I can't get enough of them and I'm noticeably stronger because of them.

If you want to yarn sometime just say hi :)

i know what you mean, i never thought the final stages would be so fun! i love being able to see something i want to try and actually being able to do it and incorporate it into my routine instead of saying "well, one day maybe ill be strong enough..."

i've thought about kettlebells before, but am deathly afraid of them, due to being hit by one by a silly gym member who didn't know what he was doing :) are they difficult to learn to use properly? i do incorporate dumbell swings into my routine, i'm not sure how similar that is though?

the funny thing is that i would totally go to that personal trainer now that i'm in shape if he still worked at my gym. they did a good job matching us up personality wise - he was definitely one of those 'push you to your limits no matter what' guys - which is how i run my routines now - but that was not what i needed at the time. i wanted someone to show me how to do some basic things as I was COMPLETELY clueless to everything in the gym.

and as for the challenge, you just wait and see. i maaaaaay be a noob but i can totally hold my own! :)

“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

I pretty much self taught myself with the ole Kettlebells. Not the best method but there really isn't anyone qualified to do it in my area and they don't have any at my local gym.

Kettlebells aren't to hard to learn. You just need to become comfortable with the weight first before moving up to the harder exercises. I posted a quick intro thread in the Muscle Building Brigade forum.

I work out the same way now, but when I first started training being pushed through some of the stuff I accomplish with ease now would just leave me feeling sore for days afterwards. Kinda hard to self motivate when you can't walk.

Dumbbell swings are slightly different because the weight is held differently. You could substitute with them but you'll probably notice it feels a lot different if you make the transition.

Kettlebells are great and easy to learn, but kettlebells plus bad technique equals injury (just like any other heavy thing). Learn the basics before trying any of the advanced exercises. The two handed swing is the most important kettlebell movement. Part of my challenge this month is focusing just on the two handed swing. "Enter the Kettlebell" by Pavel Tsatsouline is a great starting point for KB training (and it is an entertaining read). His basic program is just two movements, the two handed swing and Turkish get ups.

Kettlebells aren't to hard to learn. You just need to become comfortable with the weight first before moving up to the harder exercises. I posted a quick intro thread in the Muscle Building Brigade forum.

I work out the same way now, but when I first started training being pushed through some of the stuff I accomplish with ease now would just leave me feeling sore for days afterwards. Kinda hard to self motivate when you can't walk.

Dumbbell swings are slightly different because the weight is held differently. You could substitute with them but you'll probably notice it feels a lot different if you make the transition.

great, thanks :) i'll go check that link out!