Forums are back in action! ×

Confessions of a Former Fat Kid

Hi All,

Long time listener, first time caller and all that...I've been reading Nerd Fitness for several months now and over the past 8 months have lost a little over 50 pounds.  I realized I was sick of feeling bad about myself all the time and wanted to get stronger both physically and mentally. 

What finally convinced me to join to boards is that I had a major setback tonight and need a place to vent.  I went to my usual boxing class today, and was really excited to get a kickass workout in since it's my last day in the gym before I head to Thailand for a week. When I got to class there were hardly any people, which was great, since that meant it would be a killer workout with lots of individual focus.  

We started running like we always do, and I was feeling pretty good about the fact that I was able to keep up and never stopped for more than a few steps to catch my breath.  When I first started the classes, I couldn't run half a lap without feeling like my lung was going to collapse. 

After we finished running it happened - possibly the most dreaded thing that can happen to a former fat kid: The gym teacher told us to grab a jump rope.

Never in my life have I been able to make it more than a few skips without tripping myself up and feeling like a complete idiot.  Even 50 pounds lighter, that hasn't changed.  I gave it my best try, I honestly did, but after a few minutes of tripping myself up, I was on the verge of tears.

So I left.

And I'm ok with that.  For me, a huge part of this has been working so I can be proud of my body and what it can do, but at the same time, I have to recognize that I can't be good at everything, and there will always be some things that don't work out.  

Fitness should be fun and awesome and empowering, and I don't need to spend an hour doing something that makes me feel clumsy and awkward and bad about myself in order to say I worked out.

So, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the gym - on my own terms.

Have fun in Thailand! I spent part of a week there (split my time between Thailand and Vietnam on our trip) Lots of good food! 

You're right fitness should be fun (to this day I can't really jump rope either, though I'm still working at it). If you liked some aspects of the boxing, maybe try some sort of martial art?

Play around, find what makes you want to get out and do something. Even if that's just getting out and walking! (can always walk to Mount Doom

There will always be days where it's easier to just stay at home, or sit and do nothing, but you've come so far, why stop now? 

Try not, do or do not- Yoda