Forums are back in action! ×

I dressed as a D&D ranger for my highschool yearbook photo

My primary goals are increased strength, muscle endurance, and to not need a walker when I'm 85. I'm 34 now so that last bit is still something of a long-term plan. I run about 2-2.5 miles several times a week, I do martial arts (Uechi-ryu), and I love hiking and backpacking.  I've never been consistent or very knowledgeable when it comes to strength training, though.  Spending 20 minutes lifting things with long breaks in between just never seemed to give me the sort of happy-making endorphins which I associate with physical activity, but I'm realizing now I'm going to have to learn to suck it up or find a way to enjoy it.  Strength-training is simply necessary if I want to continue to effectively do the other things I want to do, and I'm getting old enough that I can't just coast on natural, youthful athleticism too much longer. Plus, I hate it when people (especially women I'm dating) call me "delicate" or "skinny." I'm short and compact, but "delicate" is not the kind of thing I want to hear when my shirt is off.

On a more personal note, I'm a single mom of two (ages 9 and 7), my video game of choice is Elder Scrolls, I'm a sucker for Korean historical dramas, and I have an amazing recipe for pecan pie.

• Like 3

G'day Kes, head on over to the Ranger threads and make yourself known. You will fit in with us quite well. We have plenty of ideas for different strength training workouts; kettlebells, sledgehammers, dumbbells, barbells, maces, bodyweight, rucking and more. We deal with functional strength, having the strength to deal with pretty much any challenge life throws at us.

You can find us here:

Rangers gonna Ranger: The Topic

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/69867-Rangers-gonna-Ranger%3A-The-Topic

And here;

Thinking about joining the Rangers?! We'd love to have you!

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/32858-Thinking-about-joining-the-Rangers%3F%21-We%27d-love-to-have-you%21

And here;

The Great Hall: General Chatter

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/73347-The-Great-Hall%3A-General-Chatter

Be aware however that once you do, you will be bombarded by posts from a bunch of enthusiastic, inspiring, awesome Rangers who will encourage you towards ever greater feats of awesomeness. So you need to ask yourself, 'Are you ready to be awesome Punk?' (Yes you will get movie references as well[emoji14])

Oh one other thing; Aragorn ('nuff said).

Woden uses ravens, I use an iphone.

• Like 3

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

What Thom said!  Welcome to the rebellion! There's lots of great resources around here to help you get started here. Feel free to poke about the Rangers area in particular and see if you'd like to hang with us... it sounds like you'd fit right in.  Don't hesitate to ask any questions if you don't know where to start :D

Also check out Steve's articles, he has written some great stuff in regards to being healthy over the years.

Woden uses ravens, I use an iphone.

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

On a more personal note, I'm a single mom of two (ages 9 and 7), my video game of choice is Elder Scrolls, I'm a sucker for Korean historical dramas, and I have an amazing recipe for pecan pie.

Skyrim is in my top three favourite games list.  :playful:   Unfortunately I don't have the internet speed to handle ES Online.

• Like 1