Forums are back in action! ×

Losing 3 lbs/1.4 Kg a week while weighing 219 lbs/99.3 Kg?

The short version is, I need to get down from 219 lbs to 191 lbs in preferably 1-4 months.

OK, long story short, I first started off exercise to try and lose weight and get stronger so that I could better enjoy myself and do the things that matter to me: Be it playing sports, doing parkour, exploring the world, protecting others, whatever.

But then, I decided that I wanted to join the military for various reasons. So I added that as a bonus to losing weight.

At some point, I got tired of living at home because I often feel crowded and like I have no privacy, and decided that I wanted, and was willing, to work a job. So I got the idea to move into an apartment close to college so that I would be close to work, and my dad thought it would be a great idea, and told me that it would be cheaper than living on campus and better than "putting up with those Nazis" on campus, referring to the policies they have about fees for moving out late, and needing parking permits.

So like an idiot, I signed onto a year-long lease with a guy I met on Craigslist for an apartment that cost roughly $600 a month, assuming that said roommate can, and would, keep up his end of the deal, and pay $300 worth of the rent. I don't have a credit history, so my dad co-signed onto the lease, and my dad told me that between my school money and my roommate, I could afford to live off-campus, and even save money.

Well, lo and behold, my roommate is having financial troubles too, and at one point, was two weeks late on paying me back for the rent. I was willing to see if I could work something out with him, but my family flipped out, threatened him, and moved me into a completely different apartment where I am NOT on the lease, so I almost ended up having to pay $600 worth of rent AND a $100 weekly rent.

It's not fair for my roommate to have to come up with $600 worth of money to pay the rent if he's already barely making it by, but as far as my family is concerned, I don't owe him anything, and as far as a friend of mine told me, I don't owe him any rent since I don't live there anymore, even though I am still on the lease. As far as the landlord is concerned, he doesn't care, as long as SOMEONE pays the rent, and the money is given to him by whoever is on the lease, and is paid on time, and if it is not, then I, my roommate, and my dad will be taken to court, where we will get an eviction notice, and the rent may go into collections.

From my understanding, if it goes into collections, it will stay on my leasing record and stay with me for 7-8 years, if not more, making it much harder to get on a lease anywhere else in the US, but what scares me is how it will keep me out of the US Coast Guard, and maybe even every other branch of the military.

From what I understand as far as what my lease paper says, the only three ways I can get off the lease is if I:

1: Enlist, in which case I am free to break the lease for active duty

2: Find someone else with good enough credit to sign the lease so I can sign off it (since my credit by itself, my dad's credit by itself, and my roommate's credit by itself is not good enough for the lease)

3: Both me and my roommate agree to sign off the lease

Besides those things, my only other option (according to my dad) is to move back into the apartment, keep paying the rent in full, and both he and mom would help compensate for the rent that my roommate does not pay, but I hate that. It's not fair to my family, and it's not fair to me. I want to be able to fix the situation on my own, but I can't see any other way to do so without either having someone else get screwed over in place of me, or me going into more debt, and not being able to join the military.

I'm having a hard time trying to find someone to take the room, and it feels wrong for me to unload my burden onto someone else, and I don't know if I can convince my roommate to move out, so it seems like the best option is to enlist before I can't anymore, and I'm just 28 lbs away from the weight goal for the Navy, Coast Guard, and Air Force.

On top of this, I am not sure if I am going to be able to pass my Biology class and Urban Geography class this semester, and this may lead to me losing the HOPE scholarship, and make it impossible to continue to go to school. Supposedly. I think it's possible for me to sign up for another loan or get another scholarship, but with the way my dad puts it, it's like if I DO lose the HOPE scholarship, it's like hope for me finishing college is literally lost.

I wanted me losing weight for the military to be a slow, steady, natural process. One where I can say I did it because I wanted to, and did it at my own pace. It was supposed to be a non-negative pursuit. But now I'm so close to meeting the requirements to join, and I am so afraid of getting into legal and financial trouble that will make joining the military impossible and living in the US even more painful, and so afraid of getting stuck at home for the rest of my life and continuing to be invisible to and closed off from the world, I'm just about ready to try anything to lose extra weight over the next few months. I don't want to run away from my problems, but between this apartment situation, family drama, and pressure over performing in school in classes I do not care about, I see nothing wrong with joining the military to escape, as long as it is a means to end my financial troubles, grow as a person, learn more about the world, and find my place in the world.

So I was wondering if it were possible in anyway to lose 3-5 lbs in 4-8 weeks so I can go ahead and enlist. If it helps, I have a BMR of 2177.47.