Forums are back in action! ×

Tell me why I'm wrong

I was hoping to bounce a few things off of you all. I am going to break down my current regiment, and get some insight on tweaks that you think may benefit me and my goals. That goal is to pass a very strict Physical Fitness test here in about 5 or 6 month's. This test is called the PAST, but the guy who is testing me, set my training goals far higher than necessary to pass. This is of course just to help me breeze through the actual test.

PAST test Goals:

500m Swim under 8:30 (1000m in under 20:00 min)

1 1/2 Run under 9:30 (3 mile run in under 19:00 min)

Pull ups between 15 to 20

Sit ups between 70 to 80

Pushups between 70 to 80

Current Benchmark

500m Swim - Untested(no pool)

1 1/2 mile run - 10:30

Pull ups - 3 (This is going to take patience)

Sit ups - 50 in 2:00(this is passing, but not the goal I have set)

Pushups - 50 in 2:00(Also passing)

This is on a two week cycle for weights. Focusing purely on free weights to insure growth of all involved muscles, as well as continual core strengthening. during the first two week set it is 8/6/4 strength sets, and the second two weeks is 14/12/10 to stabilize the newly formed muscle. This should insure continual growth, while also insuring I do not bulk up. I'm focusing on the output, not the aesthetic. Given the layout of the camp I live on, I have a .4 mile lap, so interval training is variations of the different breakdowns on the lap.

Sunday - Full rest day

Monday - Weights + Running interval training

Tuesday - Weights + Endurance Running

Wednesday - Weights + Interval Running

Thursday - Endurance Running

Friday - Weights + Interval Training

Satuday - Weights + Timed 3 mile run

Regrettably it is impossible for me to train my swimming here. Not many pools here in the deserts of Iraq. :)

As for diet, which is the biggest part for me. SOO much water, and that's it. I have some crystal light packets to shake things up, but 4-5 liters a day of water. Diet is as close to Paleo as I can get when I don't make my own food. solid protein, some vegetables, and a fruit for lunch and dinner. Breakfast is usually 2 hard boiled eggs and every few days I throw in some bacon to put variety on my palette. And since it's kind of part of the Diet. I am putting down a scoop of Whey protein a day, but this is to help me with the muscle development.

The way I see this plan working out is I will definitely build muscle, but it will work off the fat I have on me naturally. for me it's all about the numbers. I love watching my output go up, whether it's more weight, more push ups, more pull ups, faster mile times. And through this, looking in the mirror becomes better all the time.