Forums are back in action! ×

I like comic books.

I like comic books. I'm kind of new to them since 2011: mostly I like Image stuff and weird things that can be found in a dollar bin, but I'm surprised too to be reading so many DC 52s (ZOMG Animal Man and Swamp Thing!). I think that came at the right time for me, since it's so hard to catch up mid-story in a story that's been told for generations. And there are not a lot of resources for getting started, and I needed to find a shop that understood that women can read too.

Also in 2011, I acquired a gym buddy. Until then, my gym going had been kind of listless and irregular. I'd show up when I felt like it, walk/run on the treadmill for awhile, pretend like I knew what I was doing with some of the machines, and then leave wondering why it never worked. My gym buddy wants to meet three times a week at 7:30 am, and so now I have a commitment. (Makes all the difference!) He knows what he's doing, so I learned a little from him at first, but I'm still pretty listless. I think it's because until today, I hadn't really had any goals.

In fact, this morning in the shower, my real fitness goals (the ones beyond the non-S.M.A.R.T "be healthier") came to me. I want to

1) run a mile (I've been working on this, and I got shin splints!)

2) do chaturanga dandasana in my yoga practice

3) do a couple other sweet yoga moves, like put my head on my feet, and curl up in a little ball while holding myself up in mid air

I guess until today I had thought I needed to have big, hairy goals, and that kind of made me freeze up. It's kind of silly though - there's no reason to imagine that if I say today "run a mile", that's not saying "run a mile and not an inch further ever."

That seems like enough introductory crazy. It's nice to meet you all!

Liz

Liz Oh

Suburban Ninja

NF Intro

Twitter: @earthliz

Pinterest: I particularly like to identify #fitspo and #thinspo that has been photoshopped.

YouTube: Comics and Civics

Welcome Liz! The "hairy goals" comment made me laugh, but it's true - your goals are things that YOU want to do, and those little goals eventually add up over time to bigger goals that are entirely made up of things you want to do. Nice how that works out.

So, it's great that you figured out what you really want, and best of luck in accomplishing your new-found goals! Every little bit counts. :)

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle

If you have the inspiration, you have the talent. Strive to be happy. :)

I just came back to this thread, so i could link it in my signature. Since the time of writing, I've run a mile, and just last week I nailed chaturanga dandasana (because that's the right verb for yoga). Neat! I'm working on the rebel fitness rookie guide and rock climbing, as well as yoga, now - my only goal at the moment is to make sure I carve out the time in my schedule to go do anything six times a week. I think when the next six week challenge comes around, I'm going to jump in a little more concretely.

Liz Oh

Suburban Ninja

NF Intro

Twitter: @earthliz

Pinterest: I particularly like to identify #fitspo and #thinspo that has been photoshopped.

YouTube: Comics and Civics