Forums are back in action! ×

Birds of Prey (the animals, not the superheroes!)

I love birds of prey. I kept and bred parrots and finches growing up, rescued a few wild birds, and eventually apprenticed under a falconer, which was absolutely amazing. Now, I'm applying to grad school for conservation biology and am looking up possible research/thesis areas in raptor conservation and ecology. I just wanted to share with you guys some really cool, really beautiful birds of prey, many of which are evolutionarily distinct and also at risk or threatened.

The Philippine Eagle, AKA Monkey-eating Eagle

post-32188-0-37123600-1451007529_thumb.j

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/last-chance-for-the-worlds-rarest-eagle-philippine-eagle/

http://www.edgeofexistence.org/birds/species_info.php?id=1948

The Orange Breasted Falcon

post-32188-0-89117100-1451007612_thumb.j

http://neotropical.birds.cornell.edu/portal/species/overview?p_p_spp=36232

• Like 2

that secretary bird is pretty.  I never saw a carnivorous bird with such long legs.

my favorites have to be the North American natives though.  Peregrines are the bomb, and owls of all descriptions, especially those wee little burrowing owls and the great horned owls, and barn owls are so cute with those heart-shaped faces even though they're dumb as rocks.

• Like 1

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

We have a Peregrine falcon nesting box right underneath a bridge by work, so we see them flying all over the area  down the river a few miles where they hold a trail race is an Eagle estuary with golden and bald eagles, so it's not uncommon to be sitting fishing on the banks of the Hudson river and seeing a gigantic bald eagles fly over head; I have to say even though it's quiet common my favorite bird around the area has the be the red tail hawk; just something about seeing them playing in the updrafts, wings stretched out circling around without a single movement and watching them zig this we and that just by simply adjusting a wing. 

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

My dad does a lot of peregrine photography, he's worked with the council and installed cameras on their favourite perch sites, and every now and then they come to the church close to me. I'm hoping to go to Birdland in the spring and see some more raptors, it's been a long time since I went out to see any!

10644897_743237635711978_550078731857220

This is a shot my dad got at the cathedral, a 17 month old male.

Level 9 Pixie

I may not be the strongest, the fastest, or the bravest. But I'll be damned if I'm not trying my hardest.
17 STR ¦ 17 STA ¦ 13 CON ¦ 17 WIS ¦ 13 CHA ¦ 12 DEX

Latest Challenge! , Battle Log! , CHARACTERYAY

I enjoy Osprey... maybe it's living in the PNW. Go Hawks! Seriously, though, being a dinosaur nerd, I love raptors of all kinds.

I had looked into falconry, once. Seemed it wasn't really something I could get into, living in the city. Also, I don't hunt, so there'd be little use for it, other than showing off.

I am the Brawlus, goo goo, g'joob.

My dad does a lot of peregrine photography, he's worked with the council and installed cameras on their favourite perch sites, and every now and then they come to the church close to me. I'm hoping to go to Birdland in the spring and see some more raptors, it's been a long time since I went out to see any!

10644897_743237635711978_550078731857220

This is a shot my dad got at the cathedral, a 17 month old male.

He's gorgeous. They are one of my faves, for sure. I can't imagine being their prey. Hell, I can't imagine being the 330 lbs. that I am and having a 3 pound bird, dive bomb me at well over 200 mph. It's like a little cannon ball.

I am the Brawlus, goo goo, g'joob.