Forums are back in action! ×

Rolling With the Punches

Hey guys, I've been MIA for a while. But I'm back and trying to get my head in the game again. I'm starting a new plan for myself that I'm going to stick with. My question for you guys is this, what do you to keep yourselves on track (stay motivated,etc) when you encounter setbacks? Any suggestions....

For me my setbacks started last fall when I sprained my ankle and from then on I found excuses to not workout and eat healthy. I was working two jobs- about 60 hrs a week with one or two days off a month, holidays with Paula Deen-type meals, illness, death, work/financial/relationship stress- you name it I've probably dealt with it in the past three months. I've had more stress-related pains and issues in the past couple of months than I have in a loooong time.

I've decided I need to get off my ass and do this again for several reasons.

1. I'm sick and tired-literally lol. But seriously I'm sick and tired of not being comfortable in my own skin and not doing the things I used to (like hiking). I want more out of my life.

2. I lost two friends two weeks ago in a car accident and it made me reevaluate my life and realize just how damn short and fragile life is. I want to be the best I can be and live everything to its full potential-and being in shape is one of the things on my list.

3. I want to stop procrastinating and accepting excuses for myself. I've got to learn to get up faster when I get knocked down, learn some self-control, and start going after what I want-otherwise I'm never going to get it.

Time for me to start rolling with the punches.

<-- Behold the Guardian of the Royal Throne, enter if you dare.....

"What lies behind us and what lies before us is nothing compared to what lies within us"~Ralph Waldo Emerson

"I've had to fight like hell, and fighting like hell has made me what I am"~ John Arbuthnot Fisher

"Every man dies, not every man really lives"-~Braveheart

Sorry for your loss. Personally, when I sit and go "I can't work out" I pull up a Bruce Lee quote:

“Because you might as well be dead. Seriously, if you always put limits on what you can do, physical or anything else, it’ll spread over into the rest of your life. It’ll spread into your work, into your morality, into your entire being. There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you. A man must constantly exceed his level.”

Wow..I'm so stealing that quote...that's awesome. Thank you for sharing! :)

<-- Behold the Guardian of the Royal Throne, enter if you dare.....

"What lies behind us and what lies before us is nothing compared to what lies within us"~Ralph Waldo Emerson

"I've had to fight like hell, and fighting like hell has made me what I am"~ John Arbuthnot Fisher

"Every man dies, not every man really lives"-~Braveheart

Hey Vol. Welcome back and congratulations on choosing yourself. I know where you are..I have been there too...This past week has been crap and since new years eve when I lost my brother in law at age 60 to completely preventable organ deterioration I have been thinking about life in a whole new way. This week my kid had a car accident, my husband is out of work, everyone here but me is sick and my dear friend had an aneurysm. In the past i would have binged on pizza, smoked a pack and drank a few bottles of wine--no denying the fact that I have done that in the past to soothe issues and make myself feel better...but now, this week, I didn't miss a workout...I didn't cheat a single bit on my diet.

I realize that in order to help others--in order to BE there for others if they need my love, my strength, my support--i have to be selfish enough to love ME and put ME first....

I think once you have had a set back, it is easy to beat yourself up about it. Just start at the beginning again and know, you CAN do it all again. you might want to take it slow--you might want to develop something you can do consistently in small doses and you might want to make changes in a transitional way and not all at once. This helps...

and I love that bruce lee quote...but I also love the quote from Lao Tzu...the journey of a thousand miles starts with one single step.

Best of luck!

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

^^^ i agree with og... i think of working out as taking care of myself... it's become my hobby...

i also like the lao tzu quote... so much that i took it literally and I am on mile 1,254 of my journey...

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

Sorry for your loss. Personally, when I sit and go "I can't work out" I pull up a Bruce Lee quote:

“Because you might as well be dead. Seriously, if you always put limits on what you can do, physical or anything else, it’ll spread over into the rest of your life. It’ll spread into your work, into your morality, into your entire being. There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you. A man must constantly exceed his level.”

Saw this quote while putting off exercise today and consoling myself with the thought "at least I'm reading up on exercise so the day isn't a complete waste"... just back from a 5k :)

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

I'm very sorry for your loss. I know that doesn't mean much from a stranger on the internet, but I know how difficult it is to lose somebody you cherish. Life is short and ultimately tragic, it's a shame to see it even further shortened. My condolences to you.

Motivation is a tricky topic. You can look at someone and say, "I want to be like them," you can have your heroes, you can have your role models, and they could all be different, but one factor remains constant: you. Ultimately, motivation is completely internal. You decide what's personally important, you set your goals, and you determine whether you fail or succeed. External factors can certainly play a role - you can find quotes that click with you, people who make you want to be better, and causes that are worth fighting for, but in the end, it all comes down to you saying "I'm going to do this."

Reason is the faculty thing that separates human beings from the rest of the animal kingdom, and the capability to reason gives us the capability to choose. The power of choice is an amazing thing. If you choose to do something, and you really want it, you can make it happen. Have you ever heard the story of the guru and the ocean? It goes something like this:

A man went to visit an all-knowing guru on top of a mountain, and he said,

"guru, I want to be like you. I want to know everything there is to know. Please train me." The guru replied,

"okay. Tomorrow, meet me by the ocean, and I will train you."

The next day, the man met the guru by the ocean. The two walked out into the water, and the guru asked the man, "are you ready?" to which he replied "yes." The guru grabbed the back of the man's head and plunged it into the water, holding him there. The man struggled and fought against the guru's grip, and eventually succeeded and came up for breath. He asked the guru, "are you insane?"

The guru looked at him and said, "think about what you want in this world. When you want it as badly as you want to breathe, it's yours."

Choice overcomes all limiting factors - natural talent, environment, genetics, everything. You can be awesome, and you can have anything you want - you just have to choose to do so, and you have to want it as badly as you want to breathe.

Everybody has the potential to be the most amazing version of themselves. One simply has to choose to do so. Make the choice, and be the most awesome version of you that you possibly can. Let your potential as a human being be your motivation. Seize life by the balls, and constantly challenge the limits that are imposed upon you.

Valar Morghulis