Forums are back in action! ×

Effectively Monitoring Body Fat%

I'd like to monitor my fat-loss... but I don't know how to do it. I bough myself some funky-do scales that do the Body Fat% thing, but I've since been told that they're unreliable at best as it depends on how much water you have, or what path the current takes to enter and leave. So anyway, what is the best, most accurate and accessible way I can monitor my body-fat%

Cheers!

I had some tanita body fat scales and I couldn't even get them to zero out so I could weigh myself! CRAP....I have had my body fat measured with calipers at the gym but there is also a tape measure way of doing it...if you do this REMEMBER to first take a picture of yourself--then put small marks WHERE you are measuring and take a picture with the marks so you can measure exactly the same place every time by referring to the picture...best of luck!

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

Actual body fat is impossible to know exactly; everything is an approximation. For decent numbers, waist/hip circumference is a good place for quick and easy, and calipers are probably the most accurate if done correctly, without breaking the bank.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

I believe scales like the good tanita ones are good when you are very heavy and have quite a lot of fat - they are apparently accurate "within a few percent", which is good enough for me now, I go off my scales knowing they are roughly right compared to the figures my old PT used to give me from calipers. Mine sound like they work a bit better than oystergirls though ;)

When I have less fat and need more accurate numbers, I will hit the PT up for caliper numbers again.

I keep track of my progress with a formula for body fat based on measurements and weight. Its a pretty intense formula that I wouldn't want to try my hand at without a calculator. I find excel works best, then you can track it. I tend to take my measurements every 2 weeks to track progress. I don't know how accurate the formula is really compared to underwater weighing or bod pod, but if you keep it consistent, you will have a good idea of where you are heading.

I keep a running table in excel of the required measurements and a nice colorful chart to track the direction I am heading. Sometimes its best to put the results in something more visual that the numbers.

This is the link:

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/body-fat-formula.php

"Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform. "-Mark Twain
“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.†– Winston Churchill
“You will either step forward into growth or you will step back into safety.†– Abraham Maslow

Wood Elf Adventurer LEVEL 6.817
Stats: STR-18.62 DEX-8.22 STA-19.05 CON-29.72 WIS-30.26 CHA-22.73

I had measured my BF% using calipers and found out I was 1% over what I needed (need 33% for the Navy and I was 33.75%). I posted on here, freaking out, and someone suggested using the tape method because that's what the Navy uses. I did that...and I was at 26%. I have no idea which is more accurate but I think what's more important is making sure you stay consistent with how you're measuring.

Yeah i agree with others... the absolute # isn't as important as the relative number, so just pick a method and stick with it and you'll get a sense of your relative progress over time. I personally like to use a scale 'cause it's so easy, but I know I'd get a different number if I did water submersion or some other method. Good luck!