Forums are back in action! ×

Getting Started...

So I am as new to strength training as they come. I have done more than my fair share of aerobics classes (spin, zumba, yoga, you name it) in the past, but that is about it. My best friend and roommate is an avid runner and lately I have been hitting up the gym with her. We have been running on the treadmills and then doing silly ab exercises from her iPhone. I've been researching strength training and am growing more and more convinced of its effectiveness. I've read a billion articles dispelling myths about extreme bulkiness and suchwhat. That doesn't worry me in the slightest. I would love to be muscular and I know I won't get huge. The problem, though, is that I haven't been able to find much info on what I actually need to do and how to do it! I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on how to get started. Unfortunately, I'm limited to my dorm gym which consists of treadmills, ellipticals, an ab-x, dumbbells, and some weight machines. No barbells (I promise you the guys dorm has them, but us girls aren't allowed).

Thank you!

Hi Liv welcome and congratulations on finding nerd fitness which is a huge first step in your future success. If you have NEVER lifted weights then the best thing you can do is go to the resources page here and find the beginner body weight routine and do it religiously 3 times a week for at least a month. When you get to that point I am sure there will be more info on how to progress on this thread of yours but that will give you a good base and helped you to get into the habit of moving your own body weight which is really challenging in itself. I also use dumbbells so that really is all you need until you decide if you want to get into heavy lifting. You can't really make that decision until you get a bit stronger and see if you LIKE lifting heavy things...Best of luck and keep on rocking! Alex

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

I've been using the Beginner Weight routine for about 2 weeks, and it's been wonderful! Full body workouts, and lots of details on how many reps and sets you should be doing. The one thing to be careful of is proper technique; watch a lot of videos and watch your technique carefully in the mirror til you're comfortable that you're doing it right.

"Total abstinence is so excellent a thing that it cannot be carried to too great an extent. In my passion for it I even carry it so far as to totally abstain from total abstinence itself." -Mark Twain

Do your gym have a pull up bar or something that can be used as one?

Between your own body weight and dumbbells you can do a great full body workout (don't even need the dumbbells really, but they come in handy).

Steve has some great articles for beginners on main NF blog.

You don't need to start with the perfect routine, just try to keep improving it over time.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Thank you so much, everyone! I got sick pretty soon after posting this and hadn't been able to try out y'alls advice until today. I LOVED doing the Beginner Body Weight video. I didn't find it too challenging, but by the end of the third set I was feeling a little shaky. The jumping jacks were my least favorite. We'll see how I feel about it tomorrow morning when I'm playing racquetball, but for my first time through I loved it. So much more fun than running. Thanks for the advice! (P.S. No pull up bar, Waldo.)

I cannot believe it has been 4 months since my last post; school has been crazy. The Beginner Body Weight video has gotten fairly easy for me, but I really enjoy it. I do it every other day and ride my bike on the off days. Even after doing these thing I feel like I want to do more and more, I just don't know what to do. School is out now and I have three months of summer begging to be put to good use. I badly need a plan! I would LOVE to have some visible muscle definition by the time school starts back (three whole months!), but I am overwhelmed regarding what exactly I should do. Here is what it boils down to: I am really motivated to get in great shape. I am frustrated and overwhelmed because I don't know where to start. I'm willing to work hard, but I would love some specific advice on what I can do. I'm also very open to the possibility of joining a gym in order to have access to free weights. Please, oh please help. I'll totally be your best friend.

Thanks!