Forums are back in action! ×

Core work: You know me always with the questions.

Guest Snake McClain

Guest Snake McClain

So i'll keep it simple. strengthening my core. I want something that will work the abs, obliques and lower back of course. I know pilates are good and I have a small short routine for that. Planking i do but i want more as well. I feel I get a good solid lower back workout from dead lifts and the like as well but i'm looking for a more specific routine for the core area. Anyone have one I can steal?

Leg lifts. Lie on your back and extend your legs. Slowly lift them until they are perpendicular to the floor. Lower them back under control.

You an also try holding your feet a few inches from the ground (on your back). See how long you can hold it. Convict Conditioning's got some great progressions for this.

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

Guest Snake McClain
Leg lifts. Lie on your back and extend your legs. Slowly lift them until they are perpendicular to the floor. Lower them back under control.

You an also try holding your feet a few inches from the ground (on your back). See how long you can hold it. Convict Conditioning's got some great progressions for this.

Only thing about this is i can't keep my legs straight and extended the entire motion. I don't have that strength/flexibility (working on it though). Is it okay to do them as far as I can even though my legs won't be at full extension at this point in time?

ab wheel anyday... first go doing 3 x 5 had me aching for 3 days and most of my training involves the 'core' (deadlift, clean et al like a m@therfucker)

What is the ab wheel? i am not familiar with this.

I do deadlifts. i love them. Although i will say i know i'm not getting that "belly full of air" and not flexing my abs when doing the deadlift which may be an issue.

Only thing about this is i can't keep my legs straight and extended the entire motion. I don't have that strength/flexibility (working on it though). Is it okay to do them as far as I can even though my legs won't be at full extension at this point in time?

Try starting with your knees bent at 90 degrees. When you can do 3 sets of 10 go to 45 degrees...repeat then try straight legs to halfway up then all the way.

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

Guest Snake McClain
rapes like a bee-hatch :)
Second for the ab wheel. Will crush your core into dust and make you cry like a sissy girl.

I will now be looking into this. i've seen people do them and i thought it was a joke. Now i want to do them just to see if anything can make me cry. so how many should i do?

Try starting with your knees bent at 90 degrees. When you can do 3 sets of 10 go to 45 degrees...repeat then try straight legs to halfway up then all the way.

I will try this. I will probably do them as extended as possible and not start at the 90 degree point. Thanks a ton.

Also i will look up turkish getups and see about them.

Browsing through this, I probably wouldn't recommend half the things recommended, but it appears I like to be the vocal dissenter of this place.

I'd recommend bridging http://donnyshankle.blogspot.com/2012/01/on-weightlifting-personal-view_21.html and back extensions/glute ham raises.

My life. My dreams.

http://dreambigsquatbigger.blogspot.com Hey! I'm actually updating this thing now

Turkish Get Ups are awesome.

I'll throw in another vote for those and raise you the

exercise. Alligator Drag is pretty fun too -- put your feet on something that slides over the floor and walk yourself around the room using your hands while in pushup position.
Guest Snake McClain
Browsing through this, I probably wouldn't recommend half the things recommended, but it appears I like to be the vocal dissenter of this place.

I'd recommend bridging http://donnyshankle.blogspot.com/2012/01/on-weightlifting-personal-view_21.html and back extensions/glute ham raises.

these look interesting...

Turkish Get Ups are awesome.

I'll throw in another vote for those and raise you the

exercise. Alligator Drag is pretty fun too -- put your feet on something that slides over the floor and walk yourself around the room using your hands while in pushup position.

alligator drag sounds hilarious.

Russian Twist or Standing/Barbell Russian Twist attacks the core pretty good too. The standing russian twist can be done while holding a dumbbell straight in front of you as well while doing a full twisting motion, a bit different but it feels good. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG_gWGvvazA

Guest Snake McClain
Russian Twist or Standing/Barbell Russian Twist attacks the core pretty good too. The standing russian twist can be done while holding a dumbbell straight in front of you as well while doing a full twisting motion, a bit different but it feels good. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG_gWGvvazA

I am digging this.

Windmills

Dragon Flag

Regular Flag

the windmill is looking way out of my league...and just...awkward.

Dragon flag i can actually sort of do just not nearly as pretty as this guy.

no way on the regular flag. lol

Guest Snake McClain
L sits.

hang out in a hollow position for a little while.

toes to bars.

right on. thanks. Toes to bars look kinda fun.

I tried the turkish get ups but I'm pretty sure my form was all f***ed. Like i was forgetting a step in there somewhere and was sort of making it up as i went.