Forums are back in action! ×

Core Performance Essentials - Has anyone used this?

Hey guys,

So a while back I bought this book as I have lumbar degenerative disc disease and knew that I needed to get my core stronger so that I could lessen the impact that my back has on me now and when I'm older. Fast forward and I haven't really used it and it's been sitting on the book shelf. Anyway, I'm considering working some of the core strengthening and other mobility exercises into my routine to help strengthen my core. I was curious if any of you personally used this book and saw improvement. Thanks!

"The Word Belongs to Those that Hustle!" - From The Art of Manliness

Fitocracy Profile

I haven't used Core Performance Essentials, but I really liked the original CP book. I followed one of the CP online programs for over a year. I was pretty out of shape when I began, and I found that it really helped to activate chronically unused muscles, increase flexibility. One of the really beneficial things that I found was developing the habit of following a program. Prior to CP, I'd wander around the gym doing things that I felt like doing or that other people around me were doing. Now I always know what I need to do on a given day, whether I feel like it or not. Some of the movements that are most beneficial are the ones that no one else around is doing, and which make you feel socially awkward. Building up a tolerance for sticking out is a good thing. I subsequently did the New Rules of Lifting for Abs program (which is similar in many ways -- I've never seen anyone else at the gym doing alligator drags, which are awesome). The program in the original CP book was complex, which is why I ended up following the on-line program. The CP Essentials books looks like it eliminated much of the unnecessary complexity.

Guest Snake McClain

I may actually need to get this book. I have the same degenerative issue in my t spine and could use all the help i can get. I'm doing good these days but more core work is what i'm lacking most in my routines.