Forums are back in action! ×

From paleo to fatty liver disease

So I started Nerd Fitness about a year and a half ago. I was doing pretty well. I lost some fat and gained some muscle, but I didn't move on the scale, which is fine because I know muscle weighs more than fat. Then the holidays came and I reverted back to how I normally eat. I stopped weight lifting almost entirely.

I read an article on Nerd Fitness and got pumped! That night I went to the store, picked out a new protein powder and resumed weight lifting. The new protein powder caused me to have heart palpitations that freaked me out so bad I went to the doctor. He ran some tests. Echocardiogram came back fine. Blood test came back with slightly low HDL cholesterol and slightly high bilirubin (a byproduct of dead and broken down red blood cells which travels to the liver for processing). So I got a sonogram of my liver. The results came back, and I have a fatty liver.

Turns out more than half of Americans have a fatty liver and don't even know it. It also increases your chance of liver cancer.

I've since entered a weight loss competition at work with 1st place being $10,000 split between a team of 5.

So I'm not quite back to square one, more like two or three.

You don't need the powders.  Those things do more harm then good.  Worst possible thing you could do is use the protein powders without properly understanding when to use them or why you should use them.

I feel like people are using the protein powders as a meal replacement when that is not what they have been designed for.  If your looking for a meal replacement shake those are available you just need to find them.

It's not how far or fast you can go.  It's how far or fast you will go.

My WarFace!

AtomicZombie79