Forums are back in action! ×

Preeeeeeesenting: The Ringmaster

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. I read an io9 article earlier today, followed the links, ordered the book and the next thing I know, here I am filling out my first challenge. I figured this might be a good time to handle introductions.

The boring backplot:

I'm a 41 year old professional coder in Fabulous Lost Vegas. Working behind a desk for a few years has put a few extra pounds on me and cut down on my activity more than I'd like. So here I am, looking for a little extra push to get my fitness (and other, see below) goals worked out.

More or less nerdy things I'm doing this year:

Coding but that's just my job.

Running a post-apocalytic themed burlesque and fire performing troupe. We just celebrated our 5th anniversary in November. We do a few major events across the Southwest every year and have gotten some interest from a local theater this year. We also do a handfull of photo shoots. This year we're looking at about 18-24 new acts by November (for Wasteland Weekend) and releasing a calendar.

Converting an old military truck into our mobile campsite carrier, stage and drive-in theater combo.

I just bought an old Beetle. The idea is that its the last car I'll ever need because its simple enough to work on without a mechanic for most things and even replacing the engine with a brand new one is fairly affordable.

Taking belly dance classes with some of my troupe. The teacher is trying to get us trained up to do a few numbers at local events. This is probably my biggest fitness impetus because I've got to look good on stage!

Going to the New World Magischola LARP in July. So much costume and prop work to be done!

Running the Vegas post-apocalyptic monthly meetup, although to be honest I'm trying to delegate this.

Trying to find time to go to some social events where I'm not Fearless Leader and meet someone I'd be excited to spend some alone time with.

While I didn't put them in my first challenge, I have a few other goals for the next month or so to track:

Finalize the lineup for our Feb 20th event

Replace the seatbelts in the Beetle and find out why its getting much worse gas mileage than expected.

Find my dance sword so I can start working on a sword duet with my instructor.

Officially select another mod for Vegas Wastelanders to handle events.

Get the website back up and running so I can pass it to our new webmaster.

Its great to be here. What other parts of the forums have everyone found most useful or entertaining?

Welcome Ringmaster! Wow! A sword duet! That sounds amazing in of itself! I really like your goals and what you seem to be lacking is an attack plan to reach your goals. You need to ask yourself, what do you like to do in order to get fit? Go to the Gym? Martial Arts? Running? Etc.

Start testing the waters and see which activities you like best. Although I think with Belly Dancing and Sword training in your list, if you just focus on getting better at these, you'll shave off those extra pounds in no time!

In terms of what's most useful, that solely depends on what you're looking for. In terms of entertaining, that's solely depends on who you're following :P

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

what you seem to be lacking is an attack plan to reach your goals. You need to ask yourself, what do you like to do in order to get fit? Go to the Gym? Martial Arts? Running? Etc.

Start testing the waters and see which activities you like best. Although I think with Belly Dancing and Sword training in your list, if you just focus on getting better at these, you'll shave off those extra pounds in no time!

In terms of what's most useful, that solely depends on what you're looking for. In terms of entertaining, that's solely depends on who you're following :tongue:

Yeah, attack plan is definitely the thing. My main issue is that I get bored with repetitive activity really easily. Dance class has been working out well because we have a few people who graduated from a performing arts academy, so I'm constantly over my head. That winds up being a good thing because it keeps me focused. I did a parkour course last year and it was amazing and very much my thing but the scheduling and drive through rush hour made it very difficult to keep up with. I'm not doing sword training per se. I'm (going to be when we figure out schedules) working on a dance number incorporating the balance swords that belly dancers use. Class is only once a week, though, so for getting in shape overall, its really not enough.

My current plans are:

1. I picked up a rowing machine, which I plan to start using while I watch TV.

2. I found a dojo near the house doing Tai Chi, Aikido and a weekend class in cane fighting. Going to go check that out.I used to do Aikido and Tai Chi seems like a really good "slow down" activity for an otherwise busy life.

3. In about a month it'll be warm enough to load a podcast into my phone and take a walk for the duration.

So by the time the next challenge rolls around, I'll have an idea of what I'm exploring for a month. In the meantime I've picked some relatively modest stuff for between here and there and set up a spreadsheet where I can check off my daily goals as I go. Also, I've got two of the five goals above cleared. :)

As far as useful/entertaining, I want to know what you like most. Its a great way to get to know people.

• Like 1

For me personally, The challenges have been where I've made the best of friends here.

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

Gosh!  You are doing some SERIOUSLY rad stuff!!  That performance troupe sounds epic.

I agree with others, the challenges and guild interaction have netted me some amazing friends and support systems (and likewise, I get to support them on their journeys too!) and the camaraderie is really invaluable.  As far as the forums go, you really get out of them what you put in, so the more social you are and pop into people's threads to cheer them on/ask questions/chat about stuff, the more of a network you'll build.

• Like 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

As far as the forums go, you really get out of them what you put in, so the more social you are and pop into people's threads to cheer them on/ask questions/chat about stuff, the more of a network you'll build.

This should answer your question.

• Like 1

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler