Forums are back in action! ×

which to focus on - speed or resistance?

i've started taking spin classes at my gym. one thing i like about them is that i can really control the workout intensity. at this point, i'm certainly not great at it and rarely if ever get to the speed (measured in rpms) that the instructor recommends. i could probably get closer if i lowered the resistance but i feel like i get a good burn from the increased resistance. what i guess i'm wondering is: which is more important and more efficient at burning calories - going fast or pushing against more resistance?

hi ebm. these are things that each person finds out for themselves for the most part. i'd like to see you out there trying new things out to see what's right for you. don't think you'll do it wrong and could have worked more effectively all the time. part of it is exploring what your body's strengths and weaknesses are, and what works against your set of goals.

glad you found something you enjoy...

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

Work on your cadence first and then build up resistance, your knees will thank you. When I raced I used to spend the first thousand miles every year spinning easy gears before I'd hit the hills or use the big ring.

As far as burning calories goes, on a bike in the real world, it works out the same distancewise, but since you're going for a set time, the harder resistance should burn more calories.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

One of my best friends is a crazy assed girl mountain biker but she basically rides her other bike all over colorado even in the snow..one thing she warned me of regarding biking is that if your gear is too easy and your legs spin the pedals too fast with no resistance you can really hurt your knees. You need something to push against to keep your knee engaged so you don't put it out of joint...best of luck and I agree with what Nerd boy says, new experiences are awesome.

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

Work on your cadence first and then build up resistance, your knees will thank you.

This is what I did when I was in hard-core cardio mode. Once I could get the distance I wanted in the time I wanted, I then upped the resistance. For awhile, my goal was 3 miles in 30 minutes. For example, once I could get that at resistance 10, I'd raise it to resistance 11 and work at that level until I was hitting 3 in 30.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...