Forums are back in action! ×

The Ol' Canucklehead

I'm short.

No seriously, I'm 5' 2". For about 13 years I scrapped and fought with normal height guys over it. And then I picked up my first comic book and learned about Wolverine- "Shorty" or "The Ol' Canucklehead". It was amazing....Wolverine is my inspiration, not because he's short (although that started my interest), but because his general attitude is to and be who and what he is and if anyone has a problem with it....well, he'll tell them to "fuck off".

I lived most of my life overweight until I was 22. Then I decided I had to do something, anything to stop feeling so out of shape. So I just started...no plan, no system. I threw out every piece of junk food I could find, filled my house with fruits and vegetables and started walking every day, then (later) running every day, then (even later) running STAIRS every day.

I did that for two years and lost about 70 lbs. However, two years ago I found myself foundering. I gained back about 15 lbs and was really struggling. After some huge upheaval (breakups, moving, etc.) I managed to lose that 15 lbs again, but for the last six months I've been stuck on a plateau that I just can't seem to bust through.

I put this down to my Wolverine mentality- leap first, look later. I think my lack of a plan is causing me some problems. There seems to be a point of healthy that once you hit it will cause you to plateau out if you don't learn new habits, try new things, and most importantly have a plan.

So that's my goal here at Nerd Fitness. I want to craft a plan and implement it. I've got about 15 lbs to lose (that's variable, depending on how much muscle mass I gain), but most importantly I want to lose about 4 inches off my waist to fit into a particular size jeans. That's always been a better measurement factor for me, since I don't have to try to figure out how much muscle I've gained.....just straight up, is my waist smaller? That's the place I have the hardest time losing fat and I know if I lose it there I'm doing well.

So, my fellow Rebels. Any recommendations on planning the attack on my extra four inches of waist? Any help is much appreciated!

- Shorty

"Alright you egg sucking piece of gutter trash you always liked pushing around people smaller than you. Well I'm smaller; try pushing me."

- Shorty

"Alright you egg sucking piece of gutter trash you always liked pushing around people smaller than you. Well I'm smaller; try pushing me."

Welcome to the Rebellion! Diet is probably going to play a pretty big role in your journey, though it sounds like you've been working on that already. Be sure to check out the healthy eating and caveman guilds to get some ideas on that. Good luck!

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle

If you have the inspiration, you have the talent. Strive to be happy. :)

Welcome aboard, dude. I recognized the x-men thread and had to read on. Mad props for owning your stature, sounds like you have overcome a lot. Speaking from my own experience, I find that keeping consistent with a plan is the hardest part. As a matter of fact, that is part of the reason I decided to join this forum, to keep myself accountable. Keep up the good fight!

Outlaw Monk

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Cpt. Malcolm Reynolds (Firefly)

My Mighty Quest!

STR 9.1 - DEX 9.6 - STA 5.6 - CON 7 - WIS 12 -CHA 8

Thanks, Sco! I'll be sure to check out the caveman guild. I've been interested in paleo stuff, but alas haven't made the plunge yet (I suspect joining the rebellion will be a good kick in the pants for that).

Caponerd, x-men geeks unite! I figure I can spend my life angry about being short or I can have a good laugh about it and wear it like a badge of honor. Thanks for the welcome, and we'll work to keep each other plan accountable, right?!

Thanks, guys!

- Shorty

welcome to the community! congrats on all your progress already! what do you currently do for exercise? sometimes the body just needs a bit of a shock to keep improving...or so i hear :) but trying new things is great for fitness and mental health and everything. glad you're here!

Thanks! I usually do about two miles of running (right now indoors on the treadmill, spring and summer out at the park.....I want to get into trail running this summer), and then I "lift heavy things" for about thirty or forty minutes. Generally a hodgepodge of stuff with dumbbells that I picked up from magazines/books, plus bench press. My "lack of plan" is coming through here. It's one of my main goals to implement a plan in the next two weeks with progress bench marks to keep motivating myself to go further and try harder.

- Shorty