Forums are back in action! ×

Questions about Heart Rate Monitors and calories

I just got a heart rate monitor watch last a few days ago. So today as I got ready for church I decided to wear my HRMW to see how many calories I burn from the moment that I put the watch on, to the moment I got home. I don’t live very far from my church. I live three train stops away from it but I always walk it. I guess it would be about 13 blocks away, some long some short. By the time I got to church I had burned off my bowl of Raisin Nut Bran that I had for breakfast, plus a little extra. I burned a little over 400 calories.

After church, we walked to get lunch and then back home. When I check again it said I had burned over 900 calories from the moment I put on the watch. I left it on all day until took a nap around 7 PM til about 9:30 PM and it said I had burn over 1,600 calories! Is that right????

Also in calorie counter apps like FitBit, MyFitnessPal and LoseIt, when I put in what I eat for the day it will deduct the calories I eat from my calorie allowance. But then when I enter how many calories I burned during a work out my calorie allowance goes back up and it says that I need to eat (for example) 900 calories. Do I still have to eat more?

Thanks for your help!!!

Probably not "right" as they are estimates based on body weight, and perceived effort. It is probably most useful as a comparison number rather than an absolute. When I do this activity it says blah, but 30 minutes of that activity and it says blah + bleh...

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

When you say watch, do you mean just a watch or does it come with a chest strap? If you don't have a chest strap, then it won't be very accurate at all.

Unless you're using a HRM specifically meant to record your calorie burn for the entire day (I think they're called Body Media Fits or Bodybuggs), then those numbers probably aren't accurate. A typical HRM isn't meant to be used in that way. Also, you have to take the numbers with a grain of salt. They're slightly more accurate than guessing or online calculators, depending on the model and the information you input, but it's hard to be 100% accurate in that respect.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lies an invincible summer." - Albert Camus

"Moving on and Moving up" Challenge

The BodyBuggs claim to do more. They at least attempt to track much more than heart rate. Course you aren't getting one for $40... http://www.bodybugg.com/

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

It's common to mis-count what the meter is saying. Remember, it takes between 2000 and 2500 cals to keep your carpace all shiny. That's (ballpark) 100 cals / hour just being alive. The crazy numbers from these meters make a lot more sense when you trim them by this amount.

(More accurate estimates come from RMR / BMR / age / weight / fitness / sex, but 100/hr is enough to adjust portion sizes)

With my HR monitor, I only count actual workouts, because I add that to my BMR.

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis