Forums are back in action! ×

A wild Fluffy_Shark appeared!

Hello everyone! 

My name is Fluffy_Shark and I joined the Academy in 2015, but I got off track for a few months after I dislocated my left patella. Now I'm respawning and trying to be the best I can be despite my knee injury.

For those wondering how I dislocated my patella, I was taking a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu class and while training I was getting up from a squatting position with my partner's legs over my knees. As I was getting up I felt a very odd sensation in my knee but due to my partner's encouragement assumed that I just wasn't trying hard enough to stand up. WELL then I felt my patella shift to the left and back in again and I was on the floor rolling around while clutching my knee crying in agony. I assumed it was nothing serious and simply sat down and iced it for 15 minutes and then rejoined my fellow students. I practiced a few moves which involved wrapping my legs around my opponent's body and after the class was done found that the pain had not faded but now was MUCH worse. I limped home crying that night. 

The next day I went to Emergency since the pain had gotten even worse and found out I had a 'traumatic dislocation of the patella' and would need to wear a zimmer (foam leg brace) for a week and mostly stay off of it. I was also informed I wouldn't be able to do Jiu-Jitsu for 6 MONTHS. That made me sad. They also said I needed to do physio but thankfully my Chiropractor is well-versed in Sports Medicine and gave me some exercises to do so I didn't have to pay hundreds of dollars just to have someone tell me to do the same thing. Thankfully I'm a barista and my job involves standing 90% of the time so I haven't been too sedentary. I also don't own a car so I walk everywhere. 

My chiropractor has given me the go-ahead to start doing light yoga and continue on with the exercises he gave me in the first place. I can now do a squat and lunge without having to hold on to the something so that is a huge improvement. I've also been trying to eat at home as much as possible and prepare healthy meals. They aren't completely paleo however. I have a very tiny budget for food and stock up on foods such as oatmeal, rice, and pastas since they are cheap, can provide many meals, and last a long time without going bad. If anyone has tips for eating paleo on a budget I'd love to hear it! Our economy is also in the toilet where I live right now and the prices of food have raised by about 4.1% When you only allow $130 for a full month of groceries that can be a lot.

Right now my goals are doing yoga everyday, drinking lots of water, and eating all my meals at home instead of going out. I would love any advice or guides to resources about exercising with a knee injury. My ultimate goal is to  be a parkour master but I know I'll need stronger and more flexible muscles for that to happen. 

I hope you are all having a lovely day! 

TL;DR Version

- I need advice exercising with a knee injury 

- Resources for light yoga are needed and welcomed 

- Advice for eating paleo on a $130 budget/ month is needed (the economy is really bad and it is hard to buy fresh stuff without going over-budget) 

- Advice for training for parkour as a complete noob is needed

- I hope you're having a nice day :)