Forums are back in action! ×

Hey everyone. Just thought I'd rant and rave a little on here.

I'm Lupus. I've been on NF for years now, but I've recently came back to this wonderful community.

I've been in the hospital doing my internship - I'm a Laboratory Medicine student in Perth, Western Australia. This involves me working - unpaid - from 8am to 4pm in the hospital. Half of this is learning new things, half is doing everyone elses work for them. Cheap labour, effectively.

Combine this with... well, some back stroy first. Most of my problems started a year agao, when I crashed my first car 4 f**king daysafter buying the damn thing. Of crouse, havin ghad it less than a week, I was uninsured. Of course, I hit another car (no one was hurt). So the final bill came to $19,000.

I am now bankrupt, but I have paid off that bill in under a year.

To do this I've sacrificed my sleep (more later), my health (I'm too tired to exercise and I simply have no time), my relationship (my girlfriend thinks that I'm becoming a horrible, right depressed little shit - and she's worryingly correct) and my entire savings so far.

So to pay this off, I've become a bartender. And it turns out I'm really rather good at it. I've worked in some of the best bars in the state, done a few competition and I'm actually starting to get recognised by other bartenders. It's a really great feeling and I lvoe my job. However - it's (obviously) night shifts. So I work from approx. 5pm to midnight.

Add in an hours travel time to get home (Perth is really, really badly deisgned) and I get about 3 hours of sleep each day.

But I'm f**king done with all this, lads and lassies.

I'm sick with failing my girlfriends and my own expectations of myself. I'm sick of being rudderless - physically, fiscally and morally. I'm sick of being a bad person in a bad place. I am sick, sick, sick of being a bad human. It's time to fix all that. Time to get my ass back in gear and my life back in track. I will be strong. I will be virtuous. I will be conforming to my own Nature and to the Nature (Stoicism). I will be stronger and I will stop backing down. I'm done being weak. I'm done having life kick my ass over and over until I become a shadow of what I used to be.

My name is Colin Malcolm. I'm known as Lupus. I am many things. But one of those things is not a quitter, and one of those things is a warrior.

I'm back.

(PS. The topic title relates to that famous RPG trope of killing rats in the first level. In case you didn't get it.)

• Like 1

"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment"

- Marcus Aurelius

*snip*

Hells yeah! That's a bit of a running joke now - after all this, I'm going to be a gorram KING at budgeting :P and when one hits the bottom, the only way is up :)

"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment"

- Marcus Aurelius

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You can not withstand the storm."

The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

*grins wolfishly* Oh, I like that.

• Like 1

- Marcus Aurelius

He is Lupus, hear him roar!

Despite life bringing you down, you seemed to have rolled with the punches quite fabulously. Keep that positive mindset and you're well on your way! I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines! :)

• Like 1

Severynn - Lvl 1 Vrykul Rebel

Current Challenge   |   Instagram   |   MyFitnessPal   |   Pinterest

"What is the point of being alive if you don't at least

try to do something remarkable?" -John Green

Thanks, Severyn. I'm in the process of writing a big list of things I want to change and do. I honk it'll help to have a physical prop to lean on.

- Marcus Aurelius