Forums are back in action! ×

Hello fellow Rebels!

So, I'm completely new here, but looking forward to the experience. :joyous:

I think a little background is a nice thing to start with, so here goes:

It's been probably a good year since I first stumbled upon NerdFitness.com, mainly because I was looking for ways to improve my eating habit. I'm what you could describe as a lazy cook, sometimes I like to cook when I'm in the mood, but other days I can't be bothered and will just have some sandwiches/ fried eggs.

Regarding fitness I'm in a weird position at the moment. My whole life has been joining gyms and then stopping after 1 or 2 years. I do enjoy exercise a lot, but I keep getting in situations where I interrupt them. (Moving around a lot has been a great factor in this.) Even worse; I'm at that position again! I've just bought a new house and will start living together with my boyfriend halfway in may.

Roughly 2 years back I started competitive swimming, next to my gym membership (strength training) and occasional run/ bike ride, and it was the healthiest and best time of my life so far. I absolutely love swimming. But then, you can guess it, I moved. At that moment I decided not to get a gym membership due to expenses. I did go swimming on my own, but without a trainer it was harder for me to really get the most out of it. And a few months later my boyfriend introduced me to a game I really enjoy, and since I've just sat behind my computer, too lazy to get up and start running or swimming. (Fortunately, I bike to work, so I still have that.) And yes, a snack is oh so easily enjoyed when gaming. And boy, do I love chocolate!

All in all I noticed I gained weight faster than I would like and also my eating habits aren't as awesome as they could be. Though I have been worse, I'm not in a place that I enjoy. I feel ashamed of my behavior and sometimes even disgusted with the fact that I sit on the couch too much. For me, I just knew this was the time to step in, get healthy, but now for real.

So, weight-wise, what are we talking about? I'm 1.74m tall and weigh 80.5kg. (5ft 8.5â€/ 177.5 pounds - According to Google.) From my experience after my first swim after several months last Monday, I'm very sure that my muscles do not contribute greatly to this weight. (I can still feel the burn in my legs and arms!)

What else is there to say? I would describe myself as a nerd, this is also the reason I was drawn to this site. I work as a chemist on a research lab, and love to read in my spare time. (Mostly before going to bed, or when traveling by train to my boyfriend. At the moment I'm re-reading Harry Potter. I'm a sucker for fantasy, but any good book will have me hooked.)

Since a couple of months I enjoy gaming more and even went through the trouble of getting a Steam-account. :playful:

And I do like exercise, but when distracted I just don't take the time - and this is where I would really like to change.

I can be very shy, even on the internet. I'll admit to this being the first time ever that I started a topic. :redface-new:  But I think it's a nice way of getting my story out there and see where it goes from here.

Sorry for the long post, thanks for sticking around and reading it. I just hope you love reading as much as I do...

P.S. In case you were wondering about me some more: I'm 26 years old, female, living in the Netherlands.

Reading is something that almost has to be scheduled, I suggest trying it before you go to bed. For me it's a calming moment and I fall asleep easier. (Unless I want to read the next chapter, and the next after that, and... The usual book-lover's struggle.)

I hope the small and steady changes will stick around for you, untill eventually they become the norm. :)