Forums are back in action! ×

Convict Conditioning

Hi guys.

I've heard a few mentions of Convict Conditioning but a Google search just seems to throw up the usual "buy my shiny PDF" gubbins. Does anyone have any info on this or some good links I could take a look at? I'm keen to see if there's anything I can glean from it or maybe use it as a follow-up to the beginner's bodyweight routine I'm doing now?

Many thanks.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

MrParsnip the level 0 Fremen
Current challenge

The progressions are pretty good. I haven't read You are Your Own Gym, but I have read Building the Gymnast Body, and I think Convict Conditioning is a little more applicable for the general exerciser.

The general criticisms are that the author is kinda theoretical and overall the prison culture reference isn't great, however it does have some very good progressions in it.

It has 6 fundamental exercises and 10 steps from super easy to very hard for each.

The pushup progression to one arm pushups is very good.

The handstand pushup progression is good up to the handstand pushup, from there it goes off the rails (the master step, 1 arm handstand pushups, are not known to ever have been performed, most sources will continue this progression with rings, pushup stands, or parallel bars to increase range of motion and go freestanding, skipping the 1 arm stuff).

The bridge progression isn't stressed in typical strength training, but it is a solid progression that I'm following loosely.

The pistol squat progression is 'eh, OK for the pistol but there are may other progresisons out there for it, some better IMHO. It is the easiest of the master steps. Unfortunately there just isn't much in the way of super hard stuff for the legs with bodyweight.

The hanging leg raise progression is pretty standard and is a great ab exercise. There are a lot of bodyweight ab exercises out there though, it would be cool to have a dragon flag progression.

The pullup progression to one arm pullups is very solid.

I personnally think the rep #'s for progression are a little high (generally solidly in the endurance area, you should be able to move up by 15 reps on almost every exercise), but overall most of it give a clear easy to follow set of steps to some of the hardest of the hard bodyweight exercises, and as a whole it covers the whole body, making it a very good program to follow. Plus it is easy to perform at home, requiring a pull-up bar and a ball of some sort (basketball is recommended).

Its biggest strength and why is it so popular is ease of use. It is not a confusing book at all, and in general once you run into the issues people have with the progressions, you should be at a very advanced state. Most bodyweight exercisers will find parts of it useful. The other thing, it is distinctly not gymnastics, which makes it different than most bodyweight books which pretty much turn into gymnastics at the higher levels, which gives it broader appeal (a one arm pushup for example isn't very useful in gymnastics, whereas most general exercisers wil be drawn to that one because of the cool factor).

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Convict Conditioning is ok. The progressions may be helpful, but I feel like you can get the same info or better for less money. If you're just starting, you might try the Rebel Strength Guide or Primal Blueprint Fitness first. Both include body weight progressions, RSG is cheaper and PBF is free. Also, you won't have to deal with Paul Wade, the author of Convict Conditioning, who writes pages upon pages of crap he made up about the prison he has probably never been in.

I second Waldo. The first part of the book feels a little off with the prison culture references and such, but the progressions are solid. There are pictures and fairly detailed explanations for each step, and it is comprehensive in that regard. There's a lot about "putting strength in the bank"; essentially building up a base of basic strength before moving on to each more advanced exercise. Simple, but a good philosophy that sometimes gets overlooked in the present-day quest for instant results.

That being said, I am fairly new to CC myself. After a few weeks, I'm on or almost on Step 2 of most of the exercises. So far, I have found things to work out pretty well; it gives me a clear picture of where I'm going and what I should be focusing on in the present step. Ease of use is definitely a plus.

I have heard that both Building the Gymnastic Body and Overcoming Gravity are good books, but I haven't read either of them as of yet.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle

If you have the inspiration, you have the talent. Strive to be happy. :)

Thanks for all the info guys, I appreciate it. :)

Do you just use this plan or do you incorporate other workouts with it?

I was planning on using it as a stepping stone to be honest. Start with the basic bodyweight circuits then move onto the Rebel Strength Guide then onto something like this. I'm trying to think long-term with my fitness/working out this time and not just stumble from one thing to the next or stick with one routine without upping my game at any point.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Current challenge

New thought - would this be something you would do, say, Mon-Wed-Fri or could it be done one/two days a week in conjunction with something else?

Current challenge

Convict Conditioning is solid. The higher reps are fine, Strength isn't solely defined by the Rep range you use. Some people say the One Arm Handstand Push-Up is only theoretical, but that's because they say it's only theoretical. They haven't given it the time it needs. If you decided you wanted to press your bodyweight with one arm overhead (underhead?) and expect to do it quickly, you'll be sorely disappointed.

Personally, I like Overcoming Gravity better. it's 50 bucks, which is a turn-off for some people, but it's also 500+ pages. Much more reasonably priced than a lot of training books are.

Do you just use this plan or do you incorporate other workouts with it?

I do an all out full body workout sorta circuit style 2 days a week. I break things up into 6 parts to match the 6 parts of Convict Conditioning (upper body pull, upper body push horizontal, upper body push vertical, legs, abs/core, wildcard (back)), however I only loosely follow the convict conditioning progressions, adding in dumbbells as well in parts to supplement weaknesses (for example, I feel the bodyweight squat to pistol squat gap is a good place to fit in dumbbells, shoulder presses as well, they get shortchanged until you can do handstand pushups, I do spend time other days on the skill work to get there, just not part of my primary strength routine yet). As a way to break up the body into parts/exercise groupings it is a very logical way to do it.

I'm not in any huge rush though to finish the progressions. Right now I'm just working toward a solid all around base of strength. The one I'm really making a serious push for is the pistol, which I'm a hairs breath away from having down on both legs (one can do it).

The one workout that I really like to do that isn't part of any progression in convict conditioning is the decline pushup (legs on a chair).

currently cutting

don't panic!

Thanks for all the info guys, I appreciate it. :)

I was planning on using it as a stepping stone to be honest. Start with the basic bodyweight circuits then move onto the Rebel Strength Guide then onto something like this. I'm trying to think long-term with my fitness/working out this time and not just stumble from one thing to the next or stick with one routine without upping my game at any point.

I wouldn't really consider convict conditioning a stepping stone to any other bodyweight program (except a few areas). The master steps in convict conditioning are beast mode across the board. The only thing notably absent with nothing like it is the planche, but you don't get to the planche with a rep based progression (at least that I've seen), it takes a static hold progression, convict conditioning is rep based except a only a couple exercises (parts of the handstand pushup progression).

currently cutting

don't panic!

Thanks Waldo, that's some good advise, cheers.

I might take a look and use it circuit-training-style as I much prefer that and I'm getting into it with the Beginners Bodyweight circuits.

Current challenge

I have used The Primal Blueprint then the Rebel Strength Guide (body weight brigade) and latest I've included Convict Conditioning to get myself into shape for CrossFit.

I've improved my intro-WOD 50% in about 6 months. I stopped running and started the above. The only thing I'll keep doing from CC is practicing the hand stands and the bridges, but that's actually from CC2.

I'd look at Building a Gymnastics Body and Overcoming Gravity too. I haven't read the second one yet.

Cheers Gugi, I'll look into them.

Current challenge

After over a year of practicing CC, I'm realizing that BtGB has far better progressions for strength. Doesn't have all the cool stuff like one arm chin-ups, but even for that, I prefer the BeastSkills tutorials. I think if you're going to invest in a BW program, an intelligent combination of BtGB and BeastSkills is going to be more efficient than CC.

Valar Morghulis
After over a year of practicing CC, I'm realizing that BtGB has far better progressions for strength. Doesn't have all the cool stuff like one arm chin-ups, but even for that, I prefer the BeastSkills tutorials. I think if you're going to invest in a BW program, an intelligent combination of BtGB and BeastSkills is going to be more efficient than CC.

The problem with BtGB is that it requires a more advanced beginner state. Likewise it adds a piece of equipment, gymnastics rings, for the upper end of a lot of progressions. That and it simply is harder to understand, CC's greatest strength is its ease of use.

Either way, Beastskills and Al Kavadlo's site are both invaluable resources for anyone doing bodyweight exercises, whether following a program to a T or making something that works for them.

currently cutting

don't panic!

I'm using CC as a progression to Starting Strength. Though I plan to purchase Overcoming Gravity/Building the Gymnastic Body, to supplement SS with. I'll probably hybrid the program (3 days of SS, and 2 days of CC+OG+BtGB a week), because I need something that includes bodyweight exercises for parkour.

I say if you can find a cheap copy, do it.

I have used solely Convict Conditioning for almost 6 months now... with a few breaks in between of no working out at all.

I've read through the book now (skipping all the prison BS), and I'm just curious where I should begin. Based off what the author says, you are supposed to start out on easy mode until you get to level 6 on the different steps. That means just 2 workouts a week for 5 months (assuming a month for each step). I understand trying to let you body adjust to the exercise, but I don't think I'm going to be getting very fit or do much slimming down if I only workout twice a week.

Is this how you started? What do you do on rest days (i.e., the other 5 days of the week)? I was thinking about throwing in 30 minutes of cycling but it looks like with this program I'll wind up cycling 4-5 days a week. Thoughts?

That's another problem with CC. The progressions may be useful, but the program isn't that great. There's no reason for you to start as light as he recommends, and you probably shouldn't start on level 1 of each progression.

I guess it depends on the progression. The bridge progression and headstand pushup progressions probably need to be started near the beginning, or at least you don't lose anything by starting at the beginning (though there are real advantages to aumenting the early headstand pushup progression with weights). The level 1 bridge exercise, though grouped with back exercises and a decent back exercise is actually one of the best bodyweight glute exercises out there, a very good augment to squats. As I move on in the bridging progression I'm going to add that one to my leg workout (probably w/weights).

Things like pushups....if I were to waste my time going through the early pushup progressions I feel I'd take a step backwards. I stepped into the progression basically able to meet the beginner standard with a few quality diamond (close) pushups. Same with squats, I was more than able to meet the progression standard for bodyweight squats, and thus was already working towards a pistol, the intermediate steps between the two kinda suck as exercises no matter what program you are doing. The level 1 squatting exercise is kinda comical in the sense that if you aren't strong enough to squat any more weight than your own legs, how on earth are you supposed to be strong enough to hold your bodyweight up with your arms like that (also how does one walk if your legs are that weak)?

currently cutting

don't panic!