Forums are back in action! ×

Convict Conditioning

I've read through the book now (skipping all the prison BS), and I'm just curious where I should begin. Based off what the author says, you are supposed to start out on easy mode until you get to level 6 on the different steps. That means just 2 workouts a week for 5 months (assuming a month for each step). I understand trying to let you body adjust to the exercise, but I don't think I'm going to be getting very fit or do much slimming down if I only workout twice a week.

Is this how you started? What do you do on rest days (i.e., the other 5 days of the week)? I was thinking about throwing in 30 minutes of cycling but it looks like with this program I'll wind up cycling 4-5 days a week. Thoughts?

There's two trains of thought I've come across with CC. One is you'll rapidly progress to where you need to be so start at the beginning and you'll blow through the easy sets in a few workouts. The other is to just jump into whatever level you're in. My thought process when reading it was "screw wall push-ups, I can already do 40+ regular ones in a row." This is the method I think makes more sense. Jump into what you think/know you can do and just back off to the level below it if it's too hard.

That's another problem with CC. The progressions may be useful, but the program isn't that great. There's no reason for you to start as light as he recommends, and you probably shouldn't start on level 1 of each progression.

Actually, the reason you're starting so light is that you can still gain something from those steps. Below is a picture of me between step 1 and step 5/6 for squats, leg raises and pushups and step 3 for pullups.

2hnnrxw.png

This shows that you can get something from the earlier steps. Now, granted, there was little difference between my step 1 and step 3 pictures, but those steps serve to ingrain the movement pattern and acquiring full range of motion. Wade said it multiple times in his book: the first three steps are the rehabilitation sequence. They help you feel out problems while the load is still low so that these problems don't result in injury. Just do them. It took me like a month, that isn't much time at all. I avoided a shoulder injury that way (since it hurt a bit during incline pushups, I started doing more shoulder prehab). I also really felt my wrists, so I started doing wrist prehab. Problem is, two days ago I didn't prehab and went for a few static holds (reverse plank with arms stretched among others). Result? Pulled tendon, missing exercise, inability to play bass, hurts when I use knife and fork, can't carry bag properly, etc. etc. If I had prehabbed, it wouldn't have happened. I knew it was going to happen, so it was pretty stupid. Point is, if you don't know your weaknesses, you can't do appropiate prehab, so you'll get injured.

Steps 1-3 allow you to feel out problems, areas you have to work on specifically to stay injury free. I said 'appropiate' because you may have a specific problem area not included in most prehab routines, or you may need a specific exercise for that area.

Secondly, form is EXTREMELY important in bodyweight exercise. If you want to do a bodyweight program completely, totally, utterly wrong, you'd just have to get one thing 'right': bad form. The earlier steps ingrain the motor patterns necessary for good form because it's easier to control your body under a lighter load.

Those two reasons are enough to start at step 1. It doesn't take much time and they yield great benefits, even if not in terms of muscle/strength.

Also, just do 3 workouts a week. One a week is just retarded.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

Secondly, form is EXTREMELY important in bodyweight exercise. If you want to do a bodyweight program completely, totally, utterly wrong, you'd just have to get one thing 'right': bad form. The earlier steps ingrain the motor patterns necessary for good form because it's easier to control your body under a lighter load.

Yes and no, it depends on the exercise. For example pistol squats are easier with better form. Thus your form will natually improve (quite rapidly I might add). There is no need with a pistol to attempt to get your form right at first. The hard part is raw strength, too much form concentration will kill any strength gains. Once you are strong enough to do them and get them, your form will rapidly improve due to the fact that they get easier with better form.

Pushups OTOH are totally form dependant when it comes to difficulty, with worse form being significantly easier than good form. However that pretty much goes out the window when you get to diamond (close) pushups, the poor form tricks that lightened the load for regular pushups don't work for diamond pushups.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Yes and no, it depends on the exercise. For example pistol squats are easier with better form. Thus your form will natually improve (quite rapidly I might add). There is no need with a pistol to attempt to get your form right at first. The hard part is raw strength, too much form concentration will kill any strength gains. Once you are strong enough to do them and get them, your form will rapidly improve due to the fact that they get easier with better form.

Pushups OTOH are totally form dependant when it comes to difficulty, with worse form being significantly easier than good form. However that pretty much goes out the window when you get to diamond (close) pushups, the poor form tricks that lightened the load for regular pushups don't work for diamond pushups.

Actually, you can push considerably with the lower back on diamond pushups.

Actually, you can push considerably with the lower back on diamond pushups.

Yes but the arms out wide T form with limited ROM really doesn't work. You are forced into much better shoulder positioning, and assuming you go chest to hands, there is no way to cheat the ROM, you can't think you are going lower than you really are.

I guess my point is that form is an exercise by exercise thing that doesn't necessarily transfer through the progression.

currently cutting

don't panic!

If you're going to do the program, just do the whole thing. Why bother getting it if you're going to do half of it in the first place?

Besides, the earlier steps are there for a reason. It's like handing an empty bar to somebody who wants to start Olympic Lifting. Drop your ego and practice with the "bar". Or get another program. It's that simple.

I know Rhino, but somehow it turned to where to start the program... -_-

Anyway, the author of Convict Conditioning, Paul Wade put out a SuperFAQ on Dragondoor on the CC product page. He says if he were to recommend weights, he would recommend Kettlebells. Something to think about if you wanted to do some ballistic movements or something like it. Or you could do Deadlifts/Cleans in the middle of the week.

If you're going to do the program, just do the whole thing. Why bother getting it if you're going to do half of it in the first place?

Besides, the earlier steps are there for a reason. It's like handing an empty bar to somebody who wants to start Olympic Lifting. Drop your ego and practice with the "bar". Or get another program. It's that simple.

Convict conditioning is two completely different things in one package.

It is an exercise program, with set/rep timings, and weekly exercise planning.

It is also a set of progressions to 6 very difficult bodyweight exercises, each progression having 10 steps that start so easy that virtually everybody can do the first step for all series (except the HSPU series).

It is entirely possible to follow one or the other independantly.

For example, imagine applying CC's programming logic to the barbel. When you can do 2x3 of a weight move to that weight for your work sets. Stay at that weight until you can do 3x20 with that weight, then test out putting some more plates on the bar. While it is an interesting way to pass from overload to easy, and back to overload, and cycle through the energy systems, it surely is not the most efficient way to go about things. Granted some of it is created by the big steps in bodyweight exercise resistance wise, but that isn't always the case.

You have to admit, much of CC's programming is based on the symmetry of the system. It does look really nice on paper, but taking every step out to 20+ reps for multiple sets before moving on is just silly, especially for some of the intermediate steps (the author admits as much as well at one point, saying that two steps should be done simulataneaous (I beleive in the HSPU series)). Some of the steps are a bit forced in order to fit to the 10 step progression.

As a general framework for a full body strength training workout through bodyweight exercises it is very good. Some of the progressions are very good. But I think the overall programming of it is weak when compared to a lot of other training programs that are set up a lot more carefully to sync with the bodies exercise energy systems (5x5 systems for example).

You have to remember not everyone is new to exercising. Strict form pushups are pretty easy for people that aren't overweight, and chances are many guys have done 1000's of them in their lives. This isn't like Olympic lifting in that sense, Olympic lifts are technical and for many when they start it is the absolute first time they've done that movement. "Drop and give me 20" is a totally normal part of gym class and HS sports. Even if its been a while, a very low % of the population has never done a pushup or a very limited number of them.

currently cutting

don't panic!

It is also a set of progressions to 6 very difficult bodyweight exercises, each progression having 10 steps that start so easy that virtually everybody can do the first step for all series (except the HSPU series).

The progressions are part of the program. Just because it can be split up doesn't mean it is meant to be that way. Many programs suggest plans. This is no different. But please, let's not get into the semantics of what the program is and what it isn't, because it's obvious: The book is called Convict Conditioning, and therefore, everything relates to the overall program. It's not " Convict Conditioning Plus Friends" or, "Convict Conditioning With Benefits". To suggest that the progressions and the program are separate is mind-bogglingly nit-picky, and I don't even know how you could justify it.

For example, imagine applying CC's programming logic to the barbel. When you can do 2x3 of a weight move to that weight for your work sets. Stay at that weight until you can do 3x20 with that weight, then test out putting some more plates on the bar. While it is an interesting way to pass from overload to easy, and back to overload, and cycle through the energy systems, it surely is not the most efficient way to go about things. Granted some of it is created by the big steps in bodyweight exercise resistance wise, but that isn't always the case.

Bodyweight Exercises aren't Barbells. In a perfect world, yeah, you could keep it at 5X5 or what low reps you would prefer, but it isn't a perfect world. You have to determine what will get you to your goal, and use those exercises for higher reps when you have to because you have to reduce the intensity by adding repetitions. Besides, Strength isn't determined by Reps. Not everybody wants to develop JUST Strength, just like not everybody wants to run a Marathon. I would prefer to be able to apply myself for more than 5-10 seconds. It's trendy to hate on high reps/endurance now.

You have to admit, much of CC's programming is based on the symmetry of the system. It does look really nice on paper, but taking every step out to 20+ reps for multiple sets before moving on is just silly, especially for some of the intermediate steps (the author admits as much as well at one point, saying that two steps should be done simulataneaous (I beleive in the HSPU series)). Some of the steps are a bit forced in order to fit to the 10 step progression.

Then don't do it. Not everybody has your goals in mind. If you think it's forced, then fine, your opinion. Just don't think about it or do it. Seriously, you have to go for higher reps to eventually lower the overall intensity of the exercise, and then make the jump to the next step. I couldn't give a shit if it's 10 steps. He encourages you to think creatively, and if you want to be spoon fed, then be spoon fed. Not my problem or the author's if you don't like the layout. The thing is, if one Exercise Progression was 10 steps and another was 20, you would bring up how the author isn't being consistent, so what do you want me to tell you?

As a general framework for a full body strength training workout through bodyweight exercises it is very good. Some of the progressions are very good. But I think the overall programming of it is weak when compared to a lot of other training programs that are set up a lot more carefully to sync with the bodies exercise energy systems (5x5 systems for example).

Then do 5X5, be glad you know something is "weak" and that you don't do it, and be done with it.

You have to remember not everyone is new to exercising. Strict form pushups are pretty easy for people that aren't overweight, and chances are many guys have done 1000's of them in their lives. This isn't like Olympic lifting in that sense, Olympic lifts are technical and for many when they start it is the absolute first time they've done that movement. "Drop and give me 20" is a totally normal part of gym class and HS sports. Even if its been a while, a very low % of the population has never done a pushup or a very limited number of them.

So... you're saying that athletes don't deload and work their way back up? Some people want to build a solid foundation, and squeeze out all they can from a step before moving on, and it's obviously not what you want, so I don't know what to tell you. Seriously. I don't.

CC's logic doesn't work with barbells, as barbells are a different beast altogether. With barbells, you perform the exact same movement over and over again, increasing the load. With bodyweight exercises, you have to learn a new movement if you want to increase the load. You can't

After step 5, the only progression standards going beyond 2x15 are those for pushups and squats. For squats, 2x20 reps is alright by my standards. For pushups, I think it's better to cut back to 2x15 reps as a progression standard.

I also thought other steps would go to 20, but they don't. Leg raises keep at 2x15, Pullups go from 2x10 at full pullups to 2x7 for assisted pullups, HeSPU's go from 2x15 at standard HeSPU's to 2x6 at assisted one-arm HeSPU's.

Bodyweight sets in the intermediate steps don't take more than a minute or so. They're mostly utilizing the anaerobic system.

Ask anyone to drop and give you 20 slow, good form pushups and they will be unable to.

Bodyweight sets in the intermediate steps don't take more than a minute or so. They're mostly utilizing the anaerobic system.

Very little uses the creatine-ATP system though. The high progression standards and high beginner standard (if you can't do the beginner standard go back down) prevent against it. The creatine-ATP system is where rapid strength gains occur. If you want to do lots of deadhang pullups, but can't do 5 (the beginner standard), but can at least do 1 or 2, you will get to 5 faster by doing as many deadhang pullups as you can do, not by trying to get lots of reps on half pullups.

If you look at the BtGB program, aside from the easier statics, most of the program trys to keep exercises in the creatine-ATP system as much as possible (very, very low reps, <5), other systems not being important for maximal strength and maximal strength being the important attribute for exercise progression.

Ask anyone to drop and give you 20 slow, good form pushups and they will be unable to.

Depends on who anyone is. Overweight fat middle aged adults, sure. HS athetes? It is a fact that most guys have been able to do a strict form pushup in their lives at one point (I imagine a lot of girls too, don't know). Even if they currently can't, it is not a difficult skill to reaquire, it doesn't require months of pushups against a wall and on their knees. Drop that number from 20 to one. Ask anyone to drop and give you one absoluely perfect form pushup (no need to do more than one). A bet a decent % of people are able to do it. And from that one you can build up to greater numbers without the remedial work.

currently cutting

don't panic!

Very little uses the creatine-ATP system though. The high progression standards and high beginner standard (if you can't do the beginner standard go back down) prevent against it. The creatine-ATP system is where rapid strength gains occur. If you want to do lots of deadhang pullups, but can't do 5 (the beginner standard), but can at least do 1 or 2, you will get to 5 faster by doing as many deadhang pullups as you can do, not by trying to get lots of reps on half pullups. Or working in a reduced Range Of Motion, learning and building strength in the movement as you go.

If you look at the BtGB program, aside from the easier statics, most of the program trys to keep exercises in the creatine-ATP system as much as possible (very, very low reps, <5), other systems not being important for maximal strength and maximal strength being the important attribute for exercise progression. But then again, I could be ignoring the fact that they just told me you can't stay in the 5 rep range most of the time, because you have to reduce the intensity in order to make the bigger jumps in exercise difficulty that you have to work with using Bodyweight Exercises. I am trying to stubbornly compare two completely different programs... again... even though these programs serve two pretty much different purposes and goals. I now know that Convict Conditioning is for people who want to get strong with a program that won't take them two hours a day, and Coach Sommer's work is trying to learn very specific movements AND build as much raw strength as possible. Again, I apologize for comparing two completely different programs to justify my long-winded opinions on the matter. But, I'll probably ignore what has been said and talk about energy systems again, completely ignoring the fact that not everybody has the same goals as I do and doesn't JUST want to focus on strength.

Fixed that for you. Seriously dude... what are you trying to accomplish with this dumb bullshit? Convince everybody not to do it? I don't in the first place. OP, Rhino, sorry this turned into this dumb shit...

Depends on who anyone is. Overweight fat middle aged adults, sure. HS athetes? It is a fact that most guys have been able to do a strict form pushup in their lives at one point (I imagine a lot of girls too, don't know). Even if they currently can't, it is not a difficult skill to reaquire, it doesn't require months of pushups against a wall and on their knees. Drop that number from 20 to one. Ask anyone to drop and give you one absoluely perfect form pushup (no need to do more than one). A bet a decent % of people are able to do it. And from that one you can build up to greater numbers without the remedial work.

Well, I would say, if you're so sure that you don't need the remedial work.... then, take the what, 4-5 Workouts to blow through it? And then work on Push-Ups. Seriously, stop bitching. If they're too easy doing them 2 seconds down, 1 second pause at the bottom, and 2 seconds up and you can hit the Progression Standard, then move on. Nobody is gonna make you spend a month on each exercise, the author says he prefers that you do so you can milk all you can on each step. If you don't want to do it, then party on, dude.

Also, when somebody writes 4 sentences on a subject, and then you write, what, an ESSAY in response and then I respond, please don't ignore it and then respond to someone else. That's just shitty.

I am totally lost is to what your point is. You say that the program should be followed strict otherwise there is no point in it, and give that advice. Yet you don't do it yourself and if you look around you will find that very few people follow the program strict very long, most veer off the path eventually and figure out that there are better ways to go about doing things.

And it is not a throw out the baby with the bathwater situation. CC has a lot of very good parts, any bodyweight exerciser will get something from it. I absolutely think it is a must have book for any bodyweight exerciser. But don't think it is a good idea to try to follow it strict and would advise anybody against doing so mostly because you end up wasting a lot of time, and some of the progressions might not be best for you (in other words, look what else as out there and try out the various options before you settle on a path), the steps between the major exercises include different paths, each one a little different depending on your strengths and weaknesses and available equipment.

You also say that not everybody wants strength or has the same goals. However the entire point of a progressive calisthenics program is to progress toward the most advanced exercises within a particular chain. That is the goal of almost everybody doing a progressive calisthenics program, CC or not. Developing the strength to do the most advanced movements is one of the absolutely vital components of a progressive calisthenics program. And strength IS determined by rep range (time really, but it is generally a close relative to rep range). Each energy system has different output capacities, rep ranges sync with the energy systems, do an exercise that requires a higher output capacity (in other words, it is harder) and its impact on strength will be greatest.

currently cutting

don't panic!

Yeah, change the subject... Don't actually address what I wrote, just ask what my point was... Just ignore my previous two posts and the one from yesterday... that's great.

My point is, unless you've had experience with the program, and you've stuck with it for a while, follow it. It was written that way for a reason, but every program can't be for everybody, so some people have to change it, and that's fine. They have a reason to. What's the point of your bullshit?

You ask why I'm responding to your criticism because I don't do it, but you don't do it in the first place. What gives you the right to criticize doing something without doing it, and then say I can't criticize your criticism because I don't do it?

Yeah, change the subject... Don't actually address what I wrote, just ask what my point was... Just ignore my previous two posts and the one from yesterday... that's great.

My point is, unless you've had experience with the program, and you've stuck with it for a while, follow it. It was written that way for a reason, but every program can't be for everybody, so some people have to change it, and that's fine. They have a reason to. What's the point of your bullshit?

You ask why I'm responding to your criticism because I don't do it, but you don't do it in the first place. What gives you the right to criticize doing something without doing it, and then say I can't criticize your criticism because I don't do it?

I also am totally lost as to why you are so angry (thus near impossible to respond to). Is it a personal slight to you that I think the parts of the overall CC program is idiotic? My criticisms are hardly new, I'm not some weirdo pushing against the countercurrent of the masses, I am part of the majority on this one. Look around for CC reviews, almost always there are 3 main criticisms, the prison culture hooplah is dumb, the author and a couple exercises are theoretical and not known to have been performed as described, and the artificially slow progression can be counterproductive.

I do follow progressive calisthenics though. It isn't like I don't know what I'm talking about there. If I were to list where I was in CC steps it would be:

Pushups - Step 7 (tiptoeing into the various ways to push to a OAP, I think I'm going to go Diamond-decline diamond-incline OAP-OAP, I've tried the step 7 things, uneven pushups, they feel weird to me and seem to be more of a balance step than increasing the overload. I need to get from about 65-70 lb/arm (diamonds) to ~125 lb/arm (feet shoulder width apart, hand under chest OAP), decline diamonds should increase it to about 85 lb/arm, a 1' off the ground incline OAP should be about 105 lb/arm, tomorrow I'm going to try typewriter pushups, which are similar to lever pushups, to see if they might fit in)

Squatting - Step 10

Pullups - Step 5/6 (step 6 with a chin grip is easier than step 5 with a pull grip, by a decent margin, the way he treats the different grips is kinda screwy)

Abs - Step 8

Bridge - Step 4 (not pursuing it that actively and will be stuck here until I am, my arms and shoulders are thrashed by this point in my workout so I rarely get up into a head/full bridge (it is a bit dangerous to do so), but on fresh arms I can do about 10 reps)

HSPU - Step 5 (can't do step 2 very long however, but it is totally unnecessary in this series, though it is the first step in the planche progression hence I work on it, albeit slowly)

currently cutting

don't panic!

No, I'm angry that you responded to something I said with an essay, I took the time to respond, and then you skipped over it and then asked what my point was, because you pretended to not know because you don't want to respond to it.

I took time to respond to your massive post, and then you dismissed it and said the exact same thing. That is unbelievably irritating, and you really just seem pretentious to pick and choose what you want to discuss, hoping you get no criticism to your points. You acted like you wanted to debate, and then when somebody came up with some points, you ignored it. That's infuriating.

So, please, don't ask what my point was. When we break it down, you don't do the program, so, what was your point? What's the difference between you and I that you get to criticize and I don't? You failed to tell me the first time I asked, so, I'm thinking you just like to pick and choose what to respond to because you want to criticize and debate, but you don't want to be challenged.

Again, I responded with my opinion to the subject, you responded with an essay, I took the time to respond, and then you ignored it. Don't dismiss something based on that I sounded angry. You think people don't have the right to be angry at you, you self-important person, after they try and communicate with you and you ignore it, and then say the SAME THING to another person in the same thread?

You know what? I'll say this. There will always be someone who disagrees with a program. Always.

I've been doing CC with fantastic results the last 6 months (off an on). Take what you will from the people who disagree... but at least know that there's plenty of people who adore this program (even at NF) and have had great results with it. I've followed it pretty strictly except for a couple things that I just didn't have the stuff for (horizontal/jackknife pull).

I stand by the Convict Conditioning progressions 100%. Love it or hate it I don't care... I'll keep at it because it works.

I wasn't debating whether you follow Progressive Calisthenics or not, I was talking about CC program specifically (sorry if that wasn't clear), but you ignored the points I brought up and said what you originally said to someone else. That's all. If you didn't want to respond to it in the first place, you didn't have to, in fact, I'm fine with that. Just say: "I don't really know man, but in my opinion, it's just not what I'm looking for". And you know what? I would have been totally cool with that. It's just infuriating when somebody responds to you with a long post, and you take the time to respond to it and then they ignore your response back.. Do you get where I'm coming from? I'm not even asking you as a person you're having an argument with, just dude to dude. You can see that can't you?

But the thing is, I'm not a CC fanboy, I just do my own thing. I just know, if the program is that way, it's that way for a reason, and most people shouldn't tamper with it until they get the hang of it. Otherwise, if they were more educated than the author, they wouldn't need to follow his/her program in the first place. Most people will follow a Mark Rippetoe program or the Stronglifts program without question until they get the hang of it and see what works for them, but the form of exercise shouldn't change that principle. That's all I was originally saying.

But the thing is, I'm not a CC fanboy, I just do my own thing. I just know, if the program is that way, it's that way for a reason, and most people shouldn't tamper with it until they get the hang of it. Otherwise, if they were more educated than the author, they wouldn't need to follow his/her program in the first place. Most people will follow a Mark Rippetoe program or the Stronglifts program without question until they get the hang of it and see what works for them, but the form of exercise shouldn't change that principle. That's all I was originally saying.

Yep. Totally agree.

And here's the other thing.... you're responding by EDITING your posts.... Why are you trying to make it seem like you originally said something different? You know I'm not gonna see it unless I look for it, so what is that about, I'm interested. Because a few posts have nearly DOUBLED in length since the last time I've seen them.

If it really bothers you that I haven't responded to this post, than I will

The progressions are part of the program. Just because it can be split up doesn't mean it is meant to be that way. Many programs suggest plans. This is no different. But please, let's not get into the semantics of what the program is and what it isn't, because it's obvious: The book is called Convict Conditioning, and therefore, everything relates to the overall program. It's not " Convict Conditioning Plus Friends" or, "Convict Conditioning With Benefits". To suggest that the progressions and the program are separate is mind-bogglingly nit-picky, and I don't even know how you could justify it.

The progressions and the program are different. There is no need to follow his weekly schedule for exercises (there is no reason not to up the frequency, assuming you aren't an absolute total beginner, and if you are, it shouldn't last but a couple weeks before your bodies work capacity can handle a much greater workload). There is no need to follow his progression standard numbers, you should be able to move faster than that, and his beginner standards should be lowered to 1 on many exercises (though to get a full workout you'll need to go back down after doing a few until you can build up to 3-4 reps).

Bodyweight Exercises aren't Barbells. In a perfect world, yeah, you could keep it at 5X5 or what low reps you would prefer, but it isn't a perfect world. You have to determine what will get you to your goal, and use those exercises for higher reps when you have to because you have to reduce the intensity by adding repetitions. Besides, Strength isn't determined by Reps. Not everybody wants to develop JUST Strength, just like not everybody wants to run a Marathon. I would prefer to be able to apply myself for more than 5-10 seconds. It's trendy to hate on high reps/endurance now.

You do progressive calisthenics to progress toward the most advanced exercises in a series. Strength is very much a part of that goal, it is typically the primary determinent as to whether or not you can move on in a series. The reason mmost do progressive calisthenics is that it is an alternative (and home friendly) strength training workout to heavy barbel or gym equimpment workouts. You have to fit the pieces together, strength is necessary for moving on, and you can train for calisthenics strength progression concurrent with other goals (working a few reps on the hard exercise you are working on is productive, but not very tiring). And it is very possible to pick a path to advanced exercise goals that stays in the very low rep range.

Then don't do it. Not everybody has your goals in mind. If you think it's forced, then fine, your opinion. Just don't think about it or do it. Seriously, you have to go for higher reps to eventually lower the overall intensity of the exercise, and then make the jump to the next step. I couldn't give a shit if it's 10 steps. He encourages you to think creatively, and if you want to be spoon fed, then be spoon fed. Not my problem or the author's if you don't like the layout. The thing is, if one Exercise Progression was 10 steps and another was 20, you would bring up how the author isn't being consistent, so what do you want me to tell you?.

Not at all. None of the other bodyweight sources I know of stress sticking to their program strict, using artificially slow progression and use esoteric phrases like "banking strength". In fact most don't even have a program, they just give a path, or many, from point A to B. One of the features of bodyweight training is how it fosters creatitivity as you have to figure out a path that works best for you and how unrigid the programming is.

Then do 5X5, be glad you know something is "weak" and that you don't do it, and be done with it.

Can't. I don't have a gym or access to one. Either way, it isn't the be all end all program either, but it works for building strength. And overall the reason people do progressive calisthenics is that it is specifically NOT the weak and easy calisthenics associated with warm ups and gym class. Almost always people's first questions regarding progressive calisthenics are if you will get strong, and if you will build muscles.

currently cutting

don't panic!