Forums are back in action! ×

Afterglow-a-go-go

I've realized that the feeling after a workout is incredible.  Since I've been working out at home I sometimes find myself just laying on the cold concrete basement floor and staring at the ceiling.  Yet it feels like I'm floating on a fluffy cloud.  I would do anything to have this feeling, yet I wouldn't.

I can't seem to hang on to the memory of how this feels.  Every work out I go into, I go into with trepidation at the thought of the gasping, grunting, and pain that I will have to endure.  The memory of floating on clouds pretty much is gone.

Is there a science behind this?  Does the brain register memories of pain more deeply than those of pleasure?  I'd be downright addicted to working out if I could bring  the pleasure to the forefront.

Here's an older one:

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/news/releases/new-study-suggests-we-remember-the-bad-times-better-than-the-good.html

And a newer one:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/24/your-money/why-people-remember-negative-events-more-than-positive-ones.html?_r=0

As well as my own opinion that the negative side of 60-90 minutes of something you don't enjoy probably outweighs the positive side of the endorphin rush thereafter.

You used the word "pain" to describe your workouts... Other than maybe soreness the next day, there shouldn't be pain.

If you're dreading working out, find ways to make it more enjoyable. Find exercises you don't dread. For example, if you don't like squats, try something like step-ups.

Are you doing deadlifts? I've never met anyone who doesn't like those. Give 'em a try.

Listen to music if you aren't already or find a workout partner.

Figure out what bugs you the most about your workouts and change/improve/remove it.