Forums are back in action! ×

Looking to Meet Fellow Rebels!

Hi everyone!

I finished reading Level Up Your Life about a week ago! My name is Ryan the Roamer, but you can call me Roamer for short.  I chose this as my moniker because most of my life thus far has been mindless wandering in search of... *checks Level Up Your Life book* ...underpants! I'm not going to say it has been a complete waste, because I did have fun wandering and roaming in search of new things, but at the end of the day all I have is a bunch of underpants!

I'll try to nutshell myself here: I am an aspiring programmer. I have set that as my current main quest. I want to get out of my current job field and move into this. If you are a programmer of any sort I would certainly appreciate any advice! In order to specify what type of programmer I wish to be, I am mostly interested in back end development and object oriented things. In fact I've considered it a huge bonus if I could make it as a video game programmer, but I'll take things a step at a time. lol Please PM me or post here or something if you have any sort of input!

In addition to wanting to become a programmer, I'm also interested in trying to meet new people who are into self improvement and development! To quote a book I once read "I want to soar with the Eagles! Not  scratch with the turkeys!" and I know a LOT of turkeys. You don't have to be into programming either. I am into a great many things myself including: fitness, guitar playing, financial management, robotics, writing, drawing, travel, and just about anything else you can think of that is considered constructive! I want to offer my support to anyone else who feels like they need it and all I ask is for just a bit in return. Batman is my favorite superhero, but even he had the Justice League when things got to be too much even for him.

But don't get me wrong, I'm not all work and no play! I love video games and comic books and fantasy novels and all sorts of other geek culture so don't feel like I'm all about business here!

At any rate I would appreciate any help that could be given! I work a job that keeps me away from my home on the weekdays so I'll be most active on weekends. If you message me or post and I don't say anything, I am NOT ignoring you, just busy with work. lol I really appreciate any help that can be given and I am more than willing to help in anyway I can! Hope to meet lots of new friends here! :)

• Like 2

I'm training to be (like) Batman physically, mentally, and financially.

Hi, welcome aboard. I've been a professional programmer for over 20 years, so feel free to ask me anything. For serious video game work you'll want to learn C and C++, those are probably the easiest for controlling low-level hardware and for squeaking out every last once of performance. You'll also want to brush up on Linear Algebra since effectively everything in gaming uses it. I will also say: The video game industry is infamous for overworking employees, especially its programmers. Don't let anyone walk all over you just because you love the field. :) Also, if you can ever make it to San Francisco for GDC, that will change your life.

Depending on your current level of expertise, you might not want to start with C -- it's notorious for making it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. To just get a feel for programming, you might want to start with JavaScript (it's a language with a lot of flaws, but since it runs in your web browser it's very easy to find online tutorials to learn it.)

And that's all the advice I can give without knowing more about where you're at. Again, feel free to AMA. :)

• Like 1