Forums are back in action! ×

I'm going to make a Tricopter! I've daydreamed about this for some years. No time like the present! I have a campsite up in the redwoods and there is a creek that runs through it. How sweet would it be to put on some FPV goggles and fly down that creek like a speeder bike on the moon of Endor? Giant trees whipping by on the left and right! Or to climb a mountain and unleash that thing and get an eagle's eye view. Pretty sweet right?! 

So i'm going to build a Tricopter and my dead line will be my birthday. April 6th. so if anyone has any tips or advice on how to achieve this, it would be greatly appreciated! Let's build my techno-familiar

!post-48892-0-53728100-1455773666_thumb.j

Sort of like this... but you know...hopefully with a less tattered cloak.

Rule of Acquisition  number 62: The riskier the road, the greater the profit.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

So I've started my journey of building my tricopter. I found the perfect frame for all of my goals! It's collapsible, lightweight and portable so that i can easily take it on my hikes or anywhere really. This is going to be my partner in a lot of adventures. I can feel it. On hikes it will afford me an bird's eye view or aerial photography to document the sights I'll see. It will help me if I get lost or stuck and need to figure out which way to go. I'm deliberating on what to call the little guy, as the name of companions is very important. Scout (for it's purposes) Electric Eye (because Judas Priest, Duh) or R3-S1 (Rotor 3 Scout 1) or perhaps you guys have some fun ideas?

I've purchased the frame as the first part. Now I'm locked and and have to see it through.

So here is the build list so far:

Frame: Quanum Trifecta

ESC: Afro 12A X3

Motor: Multistar V2 2206-2150KV "Baby Beast" V2  X3

Battery: MultiStar Racer Series 1400mAh 3S 40-80C Multi-Rotor Lipo Pack

Props: Gemfan Propeller 6x4.5 Black (CW/CCW) (2pcs) X2

I haven't decided on the flight controller yet. I'm thinking an APM board for UAV functionality, I don't plan on using it much in my current mind frame, but it doesn't hurt to have options right?

I also don't know what FPV setup to get either. but I'll figure that out as the weeks go by, as i'm buying a few parts each week.

Until next time, I bid you Adieu.

Rule of Acquisition  number 62: The riskier the road, the greater the profit.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt