Forums are back in action! ×

Hello from Upstate NY!

Hello everyone!  I'm Danielle, and I'm a graduate student in biochemistry/biophysics.  I've about hit my limit with stress and weight gain and it's time to make a serious change.  I have a lot of weight to lose (100+lbs) and I'd love love love to get a lot of it done before I defend my thesis in Spring 2017.  I've recently taken stock of my habits and I know what needs to change.  I'm starting by getting back into the Stronglifts 5x5 plan.  I used to lift regularly with my husband, but since we live apart now while I'm in school, I lost my lifting buddy/motivation.  I've been doing it again for 3 weeks now, and it feels so good to be back.  I go MWF before I head to the lab for the day to get it out of the way first thing.  I've also started taking a belly dance class once a week that I'm really loving.  This upcoming week will be when I cut back my liquid calories, and up the protein content of my diet.  I already don't eat too many refined carbs at home, but I have a pizza problem (grad student...).  For now, I'm going to plan on cutting the pizza down to one slice once a week for lunch.  If I'm feeling like I'm stalled in the weight loss, that will go too  :(.  

I'm excited to check out everything Nerd Fitness has to offer!  I'm loving the academy modules so far, though I'll admit to jumping in ahead of the fitness module.  I'll try out the bodyweight workouts today though, a pipe burst in the campus gym and everything is flooded so the weight room is closed till they fix that.   :tongue:

STATS

Height: 5'3"

SW: 245

CW: 243
GW: 140

• Like 1

My plan for getting through graduate school: Science, Lifting, and Knitting

Heya!   I haven't personally done it, but I hear from lots of friends that grad school can be nerve wracking, so good on you for tackling it!   I've played around with Stronglifts 5x5 a little, and I liked it, probably need to go back to that structured plan myself.  I hear you on the pizza, it's a huge trigger food for me, I will order it and eat a whole thing in a day.    

Welcome aboard!