Forums are back in action! ×

A Noble Savage Living in the Big Easy

Hey All,

For some reason I have been using this site as a reference and never joined the forum so here we go down the rabbit hole.

I have been pushing myself to get in better shape constantly since spring of 2014. Since then I managed to loose around 50-60 pounds of mostly fat. I moved to New Orleans for work after graduating grad school in may and was doing ok with keeping up my training and achieving my goals.

Then Mardi Gras hit. I was born and raised in Louisiana so I should have known better but everyday a salesman would walk through the door of our office and drop off two to three king cakes. I love food and king cake was something that I had not been able to enjoy for years. So I packed on a little water weight and a little pudge. Because of that I am currently fasting from grains and sugars, in this city that is much easier said than done. In the first week of my fast I was greeted with cupcakes topped with chocolate covered strawberries and was given gift certificates to Cafe Du Monde as a thank you from the church I serve. So as you can see, this city is a bit against me in this fast, but I am holding on strong even when the office has free cookie cake to celebrate birthdays or the daily donuts walk in through the door. I'm salivating just thinking about it.

Thankfully I have almost repaired all of the damage done by the holiday so I think by easter I will be in better shape than I was to begin with. We'll see. In the mean time I have upped my cardio and shifted back to lifting rather than the Kettle Bell and Mace workouts I had gotten used to. Sure it's a little more boring to me but I think it is the shock that my system needs. 

• Like 1

Life is a constant mental battle between a gentleman and a savage.

Pleased to meet you. I'm in SE Texas, and just joined today. Woefully out of shape, but really trying to get to work on finding time to exercise and anything High Glycemic index to the curb. I have a 200 mile a day commute, so the working out thing is really complicated, but I can't keep ballooning like I have been. What did you do grad school in? I'm a psych professor. 

Glad to see you on here! And don't worry too much about a little slip here and there, just stay focused on finishing what you begin! It's much more fun to see results than it is to eat cake anyway. This is one of the few places where you can freely say something like that and not be exiled from the social circle. lol Message me if you ever want to chat!

I'm training to be (like) Batman physically, mentally, and financially.

I've pretty much dropped what I gained from Thanksgiving through Mardi Gras. I think keeping a dedicated Gym routine has helped with that. Now I'm more focused on dropping my BFP as low as I can healthily just to see if I can. The bread, sugar, and grain fast is helping with that a lot. Fortunately a number of my other friends are also going on diets till at least Easter, some low carb and some Daniel Fasts, so I haven't hit a whole lot of resistance. 

Life is a constant mental battle between a gentleman and a savage.