Forums are back in action! ×

Respawn in 3...2...1...

One of my favorite things about my job is that every year, I get to travel to a random location in the USA (last week was Las Vegas!) and work from Friday to Thursday helping make the event of over 1,500 people a great one.  I'm on my feet constantly.  One day I clocked 28k steps!  9.71 miles!  Zoinks!

But, while I was more active then sitting at my desk for 10 hours a day, I was attacked and ambushed by my one weakness...  FOOD. 

See, the company pays for all my meals.  And I can pretty much eat whatever I feel like.  And, they will even pay for one alcoholic drink.  It's hard to keep a level head on your food intake when your co-workers and Managers drag you to some fine eating.  Needless to say, I probably doubled/tripled my caloric intake last week eating pretty much everything.  Fantastic cheeseburgers, some of the finest steak I'll ever eat, authentic Mexican food, and some of the best breakfasts I've ever had.  And I never eat breakfast.  I mean, chicken and waffles with jalapenos in the waffle batter?  AWESOME. 

And I'm a sucker for craft beer.  While lately, I've been doing great with my beer intake, (I'm down to maybe a glass every other week.) I failed last week.  I had 12 different drinks over the course of 4 days.  With all that food. 

It was all amazing, and I kept thinking to myself that I deserved every bit of it because of all the hard work I put to be there, but on the plane ride back, I felt...  defeated.  I joined the Rebellion only a week prior and look what I've done! 

But it's ok, it's about the small changes, those habit forming ones.  So, I'm kind of glad I was able to go out with a bang.  Because now, I've joined the Academy and am going to work through it as the days go on.  I've set some food goals this week to get things rolling, and I'll be off the gym to just get back into the swing of things. 

So, there.  I've respawned and I'm getting back in the fight! 

• Like 2

If that awesome week is really just once a year, I say go all in and don't think twice, except insofar as is needed to limit hangovers.  (3 drinks a day for four days in a row isn't too bad.  12 drinks in ONE day would be overdoing it.)

Hope you enjoyed it!

What you do every day, not once a year, is mostly what makes you.  So yeah, go ahead with the Academy (or any training program) now, but do it with a clear conscience.  Don't feel defeated.  I wouldn't turn down free steak either.  You're probably getting a bit tired of all that heavy food after a week of it, so just think of it as getting the binge out of your system.  It's been fun, now you're done, moving on.

• Like 2

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Here's to small changes! So, if you get to travel, you have access to a hotel gym, correct? Why not try and add a small amount of time from 1 day of your stay to the gym (or the pool, if there's one). Do it before you can think about anything else, or before you get to bed for the night. Start small if you must, but let your traveling work FOR you too in addition to the steps you log while there. Maybe use the facility to try out a free weight exercise you find on YouTube. Dude, you're a solider. You got this! Huzzah for the respawn :)

"Not all those who wander are lost" Tolkien

"the stars began to burn through the sheets of clouds, and there was a new voice which you slowly recognized as your own"  ~ Mary Oliver

Battle/Flight Log