Forums are back in action! ×

Body Pump classes?

What's the general consensus on Body Pump classes? I think some are offered near me. I'm looking for a way to get into weightlifting, and the fun and guidance of a class setting sounds really motivating to me. I recall hearing some negative things about them, though. Anyone here tried them?

Whenever I feel bad, I use that feeling to motivate me to work harder. I only allow myself one day to feel sorry for myself. I ask myself, What are you gonna do about it? I use the negativity to fuel the transformation into a better me. –Beyonce

Difficult times have helped me to understand better than before, how infinitely rich and beautiful life is in every way, and that so many things that one goes worrying about are of no importance whatsoever...-- Isak Dinesen

What's the general consensus on Body Pump classes? I think some are offered near me. I'm looking for a way to get into weightlifting, and the fun and guidance of a class setting sounds really motivating to me. I recall hearing some negative things about them, though. Anyone here tried them?

I took a body pump class at my local YMCA for a while. I eventually quit because the class was not really geared for beginners and I had a hard time even keeping up. I think that if you are interested you should talk to the instructor and maybe observe a class.

I'm starting a body pump class at my gym next week. I had a peek in a class the other day and it looked like they had it set for all levels. Plus its a womens only gym so maybe they will be more considerate to weakling girls like me!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Twitter Blog

Attributes:

Strength (STR): 3

Dexterity (DEX): 1

Stamina (STA): 4

Constitution (CON): 2

Wisdom (WIS): 3

Charisma (CHA): 2

If you are a total beginner can be fun and you will learn the movements. But do not expect too much guidance from the teachers. Les Mills classes are like the fast food of fitness. But you gotta start from something... ;-)

Sent from my ST18i using Tapatalk

Does the instructor at least keep an eye out to make sure peoples form and technique are good?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Twitter Blog

Attributes:

Strength (STR): 3

Dexterity (DEX): 1

Stamina (STA): 4

Constitution (CON): 2

Wisdom (WIS): 3

Charisma (CHA): 2

Does the instructor at least keep an eye out to make sure peoples form and technique are good?

So I tried one with a friend of mine a while back (Note: Have been training with barbells for a good 6 months at the point). Fun? Yes I have to say it was enjoyable. It was much different than my routine and a nice change. Would I do it again? Probably not since it's not what I am going for just yet.

Rosie, most of the time the instructors are a) too busy leading the class, B) don't know how to do the exercises properly in the first place so they don't correct technique. It would have been nice if they could spend 15 min before class starts to go over the basics, but my instructor did not, just lauched right into it. People in the class had terrible form on squats, "dead lifts", hang cleans, you name it. (Note, my class had barbell stuff thrown in, classes may vary.) Oh and she had us doing quater and half squats, which I, being the elitist muscle head refused to do and continued to do full squats.

My best advice is to learn proper form outside of class.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Thanks for the input, guys! I think I'll proceed with caution and continue to learn form on my own. My goal is strength and Body Pump seems a bit too cardio oriented for me right now.

Whenever I feel bad, I use that feeling to motivate me to work harder. I only allow myself one day to feel sorry for myself. I ask myself, What are you gonna do about it? I use the negativity to fuel the transformation into a better me. –Beyonce

Difficult times have helped me to understand better than before, how infinitely rich and beautiful life is in every way, and that so many things that one goes worrying about are of no importance whatsoever...-- Isak Dinesen