Forums are back in action! ×

Corn and the paleo diet

This is the Paleo Food list that I follow. It's listed as to avoid. But then again, Bacon is listed as avoid but I eat it. You are right, it is hotly debated.

This is my weekly Blog, From Fat to Bat; one man's journey to be Batman...

This is my Intro thread...

Convict Conditioning:: Push Ups - lvl 2 || Squats - lvl 1 || Pull Ups - lvl 2 || Leg Raise - lvl 1 || Bridges - lvl 1 || Handstands - lvl 0

Current Body (2012.02.12) :: 5'10" || 270 lbs || Waist: 48" || Thigh: 25" || Arms: 14" || BF%: 36 || Young Bruce Level

Corn is a grain, but it has a fairly different genetic pathway as it is a New World plant. After my 28 day strict paleo I experimented with re-introducing corn and had no ill effects (rice and wheat, on the other hand rocked my world in the worst way possible). Go 28 days without it. Then try it. If you still feel fine after first trying it, eat on a limited basis (I try to not have it more than once every two weeks). If you intestines go all, "Oh hell no!"(it will feel like one of the worst stomach cramps/pains you've ever had) after eating it, then don't eat it. Welcome to customizing your paleo/primal diet to what you can handle.

Corn is technically a grain. While it doesn't contain gluten, it's relatively high in carbs(including simple carbs) and low in micronutrients on a per-calorie basis, similar to many other grains. I tend to lump corn in along with certain types of beans in the category of things that are not paleo, but also not too bad when consumed in moderation. I don't eat corn directly as a vegetable, but if it's served as part of a soup or salad, I don't stress about it at all. Same with many beans - I don't really eat beans much, but if there's some in my chili, I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

It's not a great choice for an everyday food, but a little bit here and there is pretty harmless, in my opinion.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

From a farmer's perspective, corn is a very specialized grass (grain). Which is why, if you're out in the country, it is not uncommon to see corn fields with grass in them (as a weed). The chemicals that kill grass, also kill corn..this is the type of problem that leads to genetic modifications of food plants. Trying to make them different enough that you can use chemicals to control the weeds.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Paleo is not a religion.

The reason to avoid non-glutenous grains applies equally to quinoa, rice, and corn. In other words, there are reasons to avoid all of them.

If you love corn, though, try leaving them out of your diet for 30 days, and then bringing it back and see how you look, feel and perform.

You gotta experiment to find out what works for you.
PM me with any questions about, well, anything! :)
Current challenge: Catspaw Starts Strong

Paleo is not a religion.

The reason to avoid non-glutenous grains applies equally to quinoa, rice, and corn. In other words, there are reasons to avoid all of them.

If you love corn, though, try leaving them out of your diet for 30 days, and then bringing it back and see how you look, feel and perform.

Self Experimentation! It's a good thing....

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

The other Paleo problem with corn is that you don't exactly see corn growing in the wild. Wild corn is a far cry from the stuff of nowadays so much so that it is pretty much unrecognizable as the same plant. For those that fear the horrors of modern science, the corn plant should be exibit A of a pretty much totally manmade plant. Corn is to wild plants as teacup yorkshire terriers are to wolves.

(disclaimer - I'm not Paleo at all and love corn, there is simply no better way to serve heavily salted butter than to serve it on an ear of corn).

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Corn is not paleo. Corn is basically nothing but starch. It's a grain that's basically entirely devoid of nutrients. Something like 95 percent of the corn grown in the U.S. is genetically modified, too. Really, it comes down to your needs. If you absolutely need a starch, and corn is your ONLY option, then go for it. However, don't trick yourself into thinking it's beneficial to your health. It's benign at best.

Valar Morghulis
The other Paleo problem with corn is that you don't exactly see corn growing in the wild. Wild corn is a far cry from the stuff of nowadays so much so that it is pretty much unrecognizable as the same plant. For those that fear the horrors of modern science, the corn plant should be exibit A of a pretty much totally manmade plant. Corn is to wild plants as teacup yorkshire terriers are to wolves.

(disclaimer - I'm not Paleo at all and love corn, there is simply no better way to serve heavily salted butter than to serve it on an ear of corn).

I like your disclaimer. I am Paleo and mostly avoid corn. But in the summer, oh yeah, I'm going to eat the corn on the cob with butter and salt. Frozen corn ,eh, take or leave but fresh corn on the cob is a wondrous thing.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

For those that fear the horrors of modern science, the corn plant should be exibit A of a pretty much totally manmade plant. Corn is to wild plants as teacup yorkshire terriers are to wolves.

While the corn plant might be Exhibit A, I think Grapples should be Exhibit B of frankenfruit (and I totally want to try one, but they come in packs of 4 and none of my friends want to eat one with me).

Also, I'm pretty sure grapples aren't paleo.

/derail

Old Battle Log

Thank you all so much :D

uhm it's not that I can't live without corn I usually avoid it but I'm experimenting with some sort of way to add a crunch to my salads, I'm 100% accustomed to croutons they taste and sound fun *crunch crunch crunch* so when I realized no bread= no croutons I thought maybe I could get away with using the blue corn tortilla chips in the organic aisle of my supermarket and try breaking them up into a salad but I guess I cant lol

if I go paleo i want to be 100% in otherwise I'll end up giving up if I half- ass it and dont see any results

corn is a mutant = no more corn chips lol

thank you again for all the help, you guys and gals are so awesome

gosh i love this place :)

Paleo is not a religion.

This x1000.

That said, I reserve non-paleo foods (such as corn) for times when I eat out and feel like cheating a bit. :) (Can anyone say MEXICAN FOOD!?)

I thought I answered this one but I guess I didn't. Corn is not paleo, but it is acceptable on the Archevore diet in small doses as long as it is either fresh as a veg, or nixtomolated if using massa flour or corn meal. Once corn flour is soaked in lime water, it does not bind b vitamins and is a pretty neutral grain as long as you are not eating a lot of it. I adore my tamales every once in a while and make my own home made from scratch corn tortillas when having tacos! Another big problem with corn is that most processed products use GMO corn, and I simply do not want to eat that, cause that is definitely a NAD!

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!