Forums are back in action! ×

Writing Ebook: Paleo for college students

Hey rebels!

I have a question for you. I'm currently writing an ebook with the name "Cavemen in College". Basically, it will be a guide to all students at university on how to remain Paleo. This includes:

- The basics of Paleo, what it is and why people do it
- My story, how and why I became Paleo and how this book was established
- How to make Paleo cheaper than a "normal" college diet
- How to combine studying with an active lifestyle (sports etc, inherently a part of Paleo imo)
- Tips for going out, social events,...
- Meal planning and templates
- Tips & Tricks (for example: Handy kitchen appliances,..)
- A big collection of recipes divided in the categories: 

1.    Spice mixes and dressings

2.    5-minute hearty meals

3.    paleo comfort foods

4.    make-in-advance meals

5.    packed lunches

6.    sweet treats

Of course, things may still change :P 
My question is now: Do you see this as a good initiative? Something that was missing? Would you consider purchasing it? 

Any feedback is moooore than appreciated! :D 

Have a good one rebels, rock on ;) 

• Like 1

Losing 10 kilograms

8%
8%

100 consecutive push-ups goal

25%
25%

If you are not willing to look stupid, nothing great is ever going to happen to you!

I would suggest narrowing down your audience between:

1) people living in dorms

2) people who have kitchens

And between:

1) people who know how to cook

2) people who do not know how to cook

If you are writing for students living in dorms, advice about how to use a kitchen will be useless to them.  Likewise if you're writing for students in shared housing, they don't need advice about how to make good choices at the school cafeteria.  If you include advice for all of them, make it concise, so people who don't need half the info can skip over it and not feel like they're only getting half the book they paid for.

I wouldn't buy a book that tells me things like how to purchase knives, roast vegetables, or read a nutrition label, because I already know how to do those.  On the other hand, I have reason to believe most college students are, shall we say, less familiar with the culinary arts.  So check with your audience.

I would also strongly suggest you read some other books aimed at college cookery / college survival.  There are a lot of them.  You need to get an idea of what works/doesn't work in such a book, and also what other people have said, so you don't need to repeat it.  If you waste more than 3 pages describing what the paleo diet is, for example, you're wasting too much space, because anyone who picks up your book has probably already heard of it.  Don't reinvent the wheel, just give a nod to it and then move on to your book's unique mission.  

• Like 1

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

From personal experience, I'd say there's a niche market for something like this. I looked for something similar when I started college amd couldn't find what I wanted, so I has to figure it out myself. Splitting it by dorm life/apartment living is probably a good idea. You could either do sections or split it into two books that share some content, but have different tips and tricks.

I'm in an apartment now, but I've done okay with paleoish in dorms before (not very long term). I just finished a whole 30 and mostly survived since I am capable of cooking. I do eat at the dining hall fairly regularly and was even able to work things out there. I'd say that there's definitely a lot of room to give info on dining hall do's and don'ts. Another must is heavy emphasis on Paleo foods you can buy if needed (breakfast bars, etc) to replace the poptarts and Mac n' cheese. Microwave recipies might be helpful for the people in dorms. Apparently scrambled eggs can be made in mugs...

I have some other thoughts that I'll try to post tomorrow

-on iPad, blame Apple for my typos :)

"Fairy tales are more than true not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten"  -Neil Gaiman

Mandalorian Assassin: Level 5

Current Challenge - Artemis becomes Mandalorian

Overall Weight Loss Journey: Starting Weight -     Current Weight -    Goal -160lbs

I would suggest narrowing down your audience between:

1) people living in dorms

2) people who have kitchens

And between:

1) people who know how to cook

2) people who do not know how to cook

If you are writing for students living in dorms, advice about how to use a kitchen will be useless to them.  Likewise if you're writing for students in shared housing, they don't need advice about how to make good choices at the school cafeteria.  If you include advice for all of them, make it concise, so people who don't need half the info can skip over it and not feel like they're only getting half the book they paid for.

I wouldn't buy a book that tells me things like how to purchase knives, roast vegetables, or read a nutrition label, because I already know how to do those.  On the other hand, I have reason to believe most college students are, shall we say, less familiar with the culinary arts.  So check with your audience.

I would also strongly suggest you read some other books aimed at college cookery / college survival.  There are a lot of them.  You need to get an idea of what works/doesn't work in such a book, and also what other people have said, so you don't need to repeat it.  If you waste more than 3 pages describing what the paleo diet is, for example, you're wasting too much space, because anyone who picks up your book has probably already heard of it.  Don't reinvent the wheel, just give a nod to it and then move on to your book's unique mission.  

From personal experience, I'd say there's a niche market for something like this. I looked for something similar when I started college amd couldn't find what I wanted, so I has to figure it out myself. Splitting it by dorm life/apartment living is probably a good idea. You could either do sections or split it into two books that share some content, but have different tips and tricks.

I'm in an apartment now, but I've done okay with paleoish in dorms before (not very long term). I just finished a whole 30 and mostly survived since I am capable of cooking. I do eat at the dining hall fairly regularly and was even able to work things out there. I'd say that there's definitely a lot of room to give info on dining hall do's and don'ts. Another must is heavy emphasis on Paleo foods you can buy if needed (breakfast bars, etc) to replace the poptarts and Mac n' cheese. Microwave recipies might be helpful for the people in dorms. Apparently scrambled eggs can be made in mugs...

I have some other thoughts that I'll try to post tomorrow

-on iPad, blame Apple for my typos :)

Wow guys, thanks for the good response! I had never considered the dorm room part, as where I live that is something that simply doesn't exist.  (okay, there are cafeterias, but no such thing as a meal plan for students). I'll definitely make work of that! Also microwaveable meals sounds good, I thought of giving "microwave adaptations" to recipes, but it might well be a fully separate chapter. 

Cheers :)

Losing 10 kilograms

8%
8%

100 consecutive push-ups goal

25%
25%

If you are not willing to look stupid, nothing great is ever going to happen to you!