Forums are back in action! ×

Longest corpse drag EVER

Five years ago I lost 63lb and got myself down to 155lb in about a year. I was really proud of myself. I earned my black belt, had abs of steel for the strength test. I rode a century in a 20 year old road bike. I maintained for a year and a half by logging food and exercising several times a week. Then something happened in my brain and I got complacent and started missing workouts or skipping meal logging. The old sloth habits began to creep in and I found myself standing in the purple puddles for excuses and junk food and couldn't self-heal. On came 50 of those pounds.

Here I am. In the longest corpse drag ever back to respawn my listless body and repair my armor... Ugh. I have so far to go and it is really really daunting. I keep hearing these whispers telling me it's too hard to do it and that tomorrow is a better day to play or I'm too tired so I'll just have a snack and a nap on the couch. Nothing fits anymore and I have hiking gear I want to wear and weddings to attend this fall. I have a new job, another (excuse) chink in the armor messing with my schedule of mid-morning workouts. All these things in my head are stacked against me and right now they're winning.

I haven't quite figured out yet what the quest reward is. Last time it was to look good in just my uniform pants and sports bra for my black belt test. And I succeeded. Now I don't know what the really big passion is that I'm working for and it is literally stopping me in my tracks. I feel like I have NOTHING to work for and so what's the point?

Pffffft whatever.

I did the first home workout quest today and the Recruit workout and started the walk to Mordor and logged my food and exercise and water.

• Like 1

It may seem daunting but you're still closer than you were when you first started. And you made it then. And you know what works now so you'll DEFINITELY make it now. 

You got your black belt so...that's it? No more training once you hit that achievement? What would happen if you were to spar with another black belt at this point? Is that motivation enough to get you going to get back into shape?

One way to look at it is you HAD your black belt...it's time to earn it yet again!

• Like 1

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

You got your black belt so...that's it? No more training once you hit that achievement? What would happen if you were to spar with another black belt at this point? Is that motivation enough to get you going to get back into shape?

One way to look at it is you HAD your black belt...it's time to earn it yet again!

Yeah, HAD, and was two months from testing for second degree.. My dojo closed.  I was training hard, 4-5 classes a week, plus teaching the entire youth program and managing the dojo affairs.  The owner was kind of a silent partner. Most of it was my thing.  When the owner's landlord raised the rent beyond our means, we had to close.  I was going for free because I was managing the entire affair, which didn't have a huge student base to begin with, as it was mostly die hard students from when my original Sensei closed his school after 5 years..  When we closed, the only close place was way out of budget.  It really disappoints me.  I regret/resent that I can't put $400 a month towards my whole family going back to karate.  We all enjoyed it.  My daughter was 2/3 to her Jr. black belt; my son just behind and Hubby had just earned his black belt 6 months prior.  It was our thing.  But it was our thing because I was putting in the time at the dojo to train others, without pay, so that my kids could go.   

Every single day I think about how wonderful it was, and how rewarding it was to teach others something I was passionate about and share my love of the art with youth in the community.  

I just can't afford to go.  BUT, to your point, it shouldn't stop me from practicing in my basement...  and that is something I intend to change.  I can still do kata, practice kumite and I can still keep that indomitable spirit alive.

• Like 1