Forums are back in action! ×

Hi, my name's Matt. I just found out about this site a few hours ago through my trusty friend Google. I just finished my varsity wrestling season, and I'm done with wrestling for good. I'm a senior in high school and I'm not looking to play a varsity sport in college. I'm about 165 lb right now at 5'9" and about 12% bodyfat. My long term goal is to pretty much to get the best body possible. For me this means around 8%-10% bodyfat and a good muscular frame. Though I'm not looking to gain a crazy amount of muscle mass like modern bodybuilders. My goal can be best represented by Polykleitus' Doryphoros:

Doryphoros_MAN_Napoli_Inv6011-2.jpg

I know it's not what's considered the best body in modern media, but, in my opinion, unlike the aesthetic fads that come and go, the Grecian Ideal is timeless. I also intend to start training in Krav Maga next Fall when I go to college. I feel it would be a great way to continue the skills I've learned from wrestling and to learn something useful while also getting a decent workout. [insert bad ass conclusion here]

Highbinder, nice work on finding and joining the Rebellion.  The Greeks were really good at what they did. if you've got the time, have a listen to this Art of Manliness Podcast, its got a bit about what made Greece such a lagoon of ideas and knowledge bombs (if you're in to that kind of thing

You'll fit in nicely with the Monk's guild i think. They're all into so so many different martial arts. Dig in and you'll find mates and support to continue along your path. 

• Like 1

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

Pat, what you posted is definitely the "kind of thing I'm interested in." I haven't listened to the whole thing yet as I have to sleep for school tomorrow, but I got past the part about Athens and I found the reasons for its rise and fall in genius fascinating. I look forward to listening to the second half tomorrow morning during my free period. If you're in the mood, I've also posted a kind of jumbled mess of research I've done on the Grecian Ideal that I think you might be interested in (http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/79820-ideal-male-body/).

Hey Highbinder!

The classical greek physique you're going for is awesome.  (but then again I don't think I'm quite up on what the media thinks is attractive).

The life transition to college could be an awesome way to cement any new habits you're trying to get to stick!  I'm excited for you mate!

Welcome to the rebellion from a fellow newbie!

All my stats & logs are over @ http://fitgame.online/

Thanks a lot Lyden. I have found this calculator online before, but I've come across two problems with it. One, it doesn't give a shoulder measurement, and two, I can't find where it got its data from or the algorithm used to produce these numbers. There are a lot of false research papers on the internet, and I simply can't ahere to this without knowledge of where the data is coming from.

On 23/3/2016 at 10:21 PM, Highbinder said:

Actually I'm currently in the process of 3D printing 3D scans of iconic Greek statues. I'm going to test this calculator out on them and prove it right or wrong once and for all :)

That'd be one original way to set a goal; have it printed in 3D. Lol.

Late welcomes :)

Apprentice of Intent .  Lvl X Druidu Bronze IV

Epic Quest | Battle Log | Current Challenge

' Who has the time to stall reaching hus highest potential? Death tells me "I'm a fickle thing, and I see you." ' •Aerisand