Forums are back in action! ×

something is wrong with me...

Guest Snake McClain

I, like many others on this page, have had similar problems. I travel to school (400 miles a week), I work a job I'm not fond of, I try to work out as much as I can, etc, etc. My wife and I were beginning to have problems b/c I was so stressed out ALL THE FRIGGIN TIME. So she came up with a plan that helps out quite a bit: Once a month, we take a weekend to ourselves and we cut out everything else. We turn OFF the phones, stay logged off the social networks, and tell our friends and family "adios". Sometimes we stay at home and veg out with the TV/PS3, sometimes we take a weekend trip to the city (we live 40 miles from the back end of nowhere in rural Oklahoma) and get a hotel and catch some movies or go to a game/event. The important thing is that for that 48 hour period, there is no crappy job, no studying, no(or very little) internet, no working out. I can't begin to tell you how good I feel on Monday morning. Remember: Life's too short to be stressed all the time. You owe it to yourself to relax a little.

Take a day to yourself, go somewhere you feel good, whether it be the top of a mountain or under the covers, and just do nothing. Clear your head, get comfortable, and just relax. Breathe. Take stock of everything that's going well for you. You'll start feeling better.

If you can't go without the workouts, do something fun. Organize a dodgeball game or something that lets you get out and screw around. Get with your friends, and focus on them rather than on the workout. A little variety really helps things.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

I can relate, dude. it's almost as if there's a hole in your energy tank. you're putting in and pulling out from it just like most everyone else, but for some reason you've got a shortage of energy.

I get overwhelmed' date=' take a week to just not worry about social committments, workouts, cleaning the house, etc, and I usually come out of it ready to clean the house, go to the gym and see some friends, all while feeling better than I was.[/quote']

this is what I'm doing this week. I really hope it works for me and that I can get back into gear next week.

wishing you the best, Bruce. may you and I both find a rag to temporarily fill the holes in our tanks until we can manage to completely mend them.

there is never a sudden revelation, a complete and tidy explanation for why it happened, or why it ends, or Why or Who you are. you want one and I want one, but there isn't one. it comes in bits and pieces, and you stitch them together wherever they fit, and when you are done you hold yourself up, and still there are holes and you are a rag doll, invented, imperfect. and yet you are all that you have, so you must be Enough. there is no other way.

Marya Hornbacher, Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia