Forums are back in action! ×

Finally Posting Intro

(Copy Pasted from my Blog... a random post turned into an intro post - so I figured it belongs here)

I decided to fully put myself out there for the NF Community. I was having lunch with a friend of mine (who recently turned into a workout partner - looking forward to celebrating his success as well as mine) and we were both having a Protein Shake. He asked why I always pour mine into a paper cup instead of drinking it out of the shaker. The answer is that I don't want people to know that I'm drinking a Protein Shake. For that matter, I don't want people to know that I'm going to the gym. This was a revolution.

I don't know why, but I prefer to remain anonymous. I don't like seeing people I know at the Gym and I don't like telling people that I've been working out. I don't know why. The good news is that this is going away. With work paying for Gym Memberships (heck yea) and the Gym being in the same parking lot as work - I see a lot of familiar faces. I figured that it was about time to introduce myself here (and repost on the intro forum board I guess...). So here goes:

My name is Tim - I live in Austin, TX but was raised in Central Michigan. I'm 28, married and a new father. My son is 6 months old and I can't wait to get home from work every day. He is my inspiration and motivation. When he wants to go outside and run in the yard, I don't want to make up excuses as to why I can't. If he wants to play Soccer, I don't want to make up excuses about "Daddy's legs being sore" or "It's too hot out" when in all actually, it comes down to me being out of shape. I think of that every day before going to the Gym and it makes me about 20% stronger.

I've always been overweight since elementary school. I rode my bike a lot as a kid and played hockey for a little bit, which helped, but ultimately, I never developed healthy habits. The only significant health developments in college were meeting my now wife, and joining a Gym that she worked at. The owner of the Gym would walk around and make sure that you weren't doing excessive wrong. He taught me to Squat, do Lat Pull downs, Bench Press, Triceps Pull downs... lots of stuff. I never followed through. Years of Video Games and Beer later, I hovered around 310 pounds for a while.

When my Son was born, I had gone through about 2 months of no physical activity and terrible eating habits. On September 4th, I weighed 327. I had decided that enough is enough and got a Gym Membership 2 weeks later.

After my first day of 45 minutes of Cardio, a friend of mine linked an article on Facebook from NerdFitness.com - and I spent about the next 4 hours reading. I learned that I don't have to suffer through endless cardio to lose weight - I also did a 6 week challenge. I'm now posting in a blog about how I plan on losing 5 pounds a month throughout 2012.

Other than that - my Gym List is an assortment of Lamb of God, Fear Factory, Trivium, In Flames, and anything with lots of guitar and loud vocals. Thanks for Reading and thanks for the support.