Forums are back in action! ×

Book Collecting/Research!

I'm working on a research project for a history class, which has turned into a bit of an all consuming topic for me (the truth is out there!). Anyway, there was a book I kept seeing as a reference in other works, so I set out to find it at my school's library. No luck. So I searched the Michigan inter-library loan system. No library in Michigan has it. Okay, then a quest.

Amazon. Not even Amazon is selling this book. I start to get a little scared... the last time I had this much trouble locating a book it was selling in middling condition for over $400. Sure enough, there it was for $250 on another site. Finally, out of a last shred of hope someone didn't know they were sitting on something really valuable, I check E-Bay. $14.00 Buy it Now. $5.00 shipping.

Bought it.

*happy dance*

Now it just has to ship from Edmonton.

This is entirely cyclical. The price of books (or other media) will fluctuate based on their rarity, condition, and how often they are sold. A book is 'worth' $250 if someone is willing to pay you for it. That exact same book may only be worth $25 to the next buyer, so the seller either sells it or takes it off the market to see if the demand increases.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...