Forums are back in action! ×

How long should I hold static stretching?

I'd have to agree with the previous posters. the description for a proper static stretch is to "mild discomfort" but that means different things for everyone. Some parts of you will be more flexible than others, so if you feel you need more flexibility, go for a longer stretch.

This post has links to some great mobility exercises you might want to consider in addition to your stretching.

http://nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?7450-Daily-reminder-If-you-re-not-MOBing-you-re-not-trying

Just out of curiosity, what are you stretching for, and are you doing so before or after?

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

based on what i learned in (years) of dance class, you want to aim for those longer hold times you mentioned. i once heard that you aren't getting anymore flexible until you pass that point of be comfortable in the stretch...not sure if that's true but i heard it. however, i think if the goal of the stretch is to just loosen up and avoid injury and not to get more flexible, then a shorter hold time of 10 seconds should be fine.

It depends on a number of things. If you are very flexible and have a hyper range of motion then you do NOT want to push past the point of comfort because you WILL go there and you can injure yourself. As a retired ballerina, i have done that plenty of times and has been the thing that set me back the most in my fitness routine.

Certain muscle groups can take longer stretch times, but often, you might have another group of muscles beginning to tighten up. I stretch every day for about 30 minutes and stretch all muscle groups. Anything that involves very small muscles, such as external rotators and the lower back should not be held for a long time because they inherently rebound and tighten up. Go into the stretch, breathe in, breathe out, relax into the stretch, release and then repeat if you want to.

The longest stretches I hold are splits, split leg forward bends, straddle forward bend, quads and cat and dog stretch along with downward facing dog. the rest I kind of do a vinyasa flow so as to stretch but get no rebound tightness. I hope that helps.

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

Like a lot of other fitness things, it kinda depends on you. I personally find I need a slightly longer hold, or else I'll stay tight.

And what you're trying to do.

If you're warming up for doing something, then go with less time.

If you're stretching for flexibility and are already warmed up, hold it for longer.

What Atalan said. Dynamic stretches are better following a warm-up, while static stretches are more for when you're thoroughly warm and aiming to increase flexibility.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!