Forums are back in action! ×

New to NF, new to the Guild

Hi Nerdy writers,

I'm a technical writer in NZ looking to level up in both my fitness, and my fiction-writing.  This looks like a really good group for me to be a part of!

At the moment I'm struggling with habit-building, both around health/fitness, and writing outside of work.  Part of the problem is that after spending all day in front of a computer writing, i actually don't feel like doing more of the same when I get home! Even though while at work, all I can think of is my fantastic stories, rather than the dry technical material I'm meant to work on (he he). 

I've tried being structured about both fitness and writing - setting small, measurable goals, creating outlines and plans ... but follow through is hard.

Looking forward to tips, tricks, and encouragement from like-minded geeks.

*Waves* Hello! 

Good for you signing up here.  Welcome.

I say the same things over and over, mostly because they are true.  Find a very basic program for strength.  Even if you don't want to be a powerlifter, you need strength on some level for everything.  It's foundational.

StrongLifts 5x5

Power to the People

Simple and Sinister

5/3/1

Starting Strength

These are all great places to start.  Pick one, then stop analyzing everything, and stick with it for 3 months taking no other training input apart from your chosen program.  Splattering you mind with options is how program hoppers are born, and nothing getting done is the result.  If you want, join me on my second 6 weeks of SL5x5 which I am doing now.  Start light. Weight will accumulate faster than you think.   None of the above five programs is better or worse than the others.  The effort  you put in is the only 'better or worse' ingredient.

• Like 1

Thank you!  I don't have a gym membership atm/weights at home, so the beginner bodyweight one probably is most achievable = but I'll look at all the ones you've sent me.

And that's a good point - pick something and focus on it and ignore the rest for 3 months. Brilliant - thank you!!!