Forums are back in action! ×

Do you ever take a mental health break from working out?

So you can level it out when things get crazy at home/work and there just are not enough hours in the day? That is what I had to do this week. Things just got crazy at home. First my hot water tank had to be replaced (thank God for my homeowners warranty). Then my 1980s refridgerator broke down for the second time in a month and we decided to replace it rather than pay for another visit from the appliance repairman. Because of the fridge breaking down we could not stock up on food like we needed to. So Wednesday we went shopping for a new fridge. Thursday it was delivered and we were able to go grocery shopping. Today our twenty year old son got married and I babysat for the grandbaby while they got the rings. I also babysat earlier this week.

I plan to resume my workouts full force next week. Things should be leveled out by then.

I feel the same way sometimes. It can be stressful trying to get in that gym visit (or 12 a month so insurance pays you $20), I just try to remember that gym time can be me time and that the exercise releases endorphins which make me happy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

That being said maybe a break would be nice and you could try to do something else for yourself like a massage?

Anyway, good luck! Hope the stress lessens for you!

Sending you big hugs on all the things that have been thrust on you lately in addition to all the things you regularly handle...I sometimes think of it as the straw that broke the camels back...yep, sometimes you just need a break from those things that FEEL overwhelming.

Gotta say though, that for the first time in my life I have had a constant steam of shit hitting the fan over the past few months and i have chosen not to fall off the wagon and go back to my old self soothing ways (movies on the couch, cocktails, crap food) and have stuck to my program of working out, even if its only 15 minutes of intervals. I have felt such strength in it, such power and such love.

I do think though that regularly scheduled exercise breaks are a must. I take two days off a week for active rest (walks, hikes, a bit of yoga, or nothing at all but vacuuming) and in two weeks we are going skiing and will be gone for 3 days. I will certainly not be working out those days!

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

I generally try to get my workouts done between 7pm and 9pm. The YMCA that we go to closes at 9pm. I try to arrive by at least 7:45 at the latest so I can get in a good hour. If I can I prefer to arrive earlier, but since I currently get off of work at 6 pm that has been more difficult. I originally started doing the beginner body weight routine at home but have been slacking off lately while trying to figure out a new workout schedule for myself that I can stick to. I stuck with 5x a week Mon-Fri evenings for a year and a half. I may be changing back to my old schedule of getting off work at 4:30 next month. I never work out in the mornings although I would if I had absolutely NO other choice.

What I would really like to do is exercise at home more. I do have a Your Shape game for the X Box kinect but have not been using it much due to too many distractions. I want to use it more so I will just have to figure out a way to deal with them.

Fortunately things are usually pretty stable at home so I plan on being back at the Y next week and I am planning to get in at least three workouts at home including the bodyweight routine. We are supposed to get snow so I may have to even do all my workouts at home next week.

I feel the same way sometimes. It can be stressful trying to get in that gym visit (or 12 a month so insurance pays you $20), I just try to remember that gym time can be me time and that the exercise releases endorphins which make me happy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I agree - usually when I feel like a slacker and have to talk myself into going, I usually am glad I did once I get there and get into a bit of a groove.

That said there's nothing wrong with taking a break. I sometimes do so during busy weeks, simply because having a little down time to de-stress typically does wonders. My normal routine always has at least 1 off day per week scheduled, and I'll move it around as makes sense to fit my schedule.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

Babycakes, you can work out at home. You dont need a gym or equipment at all and most times you will spend less time! I do www.bodyrock.tv workouts--the older ones are better or you can facebook search or youtube search for Zuzka Light and she puts up a great body weight exercise routine once a week right now. You will be amazed at your results!

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

Babycakes, you can work out at home. You dont need a gym or equipment at all and most times you will spend less time! I do www.bodyrock.tv workouts--the older ones are better or you can facebook search or youtube search for Zuzka Light and she puts up a great body weight exercise routine once a week right now. You will be amazed at your results!

I still have to take my daughter to the Y three times a week so she can walk on the treamill. I figure that if I am going to have to stay there until she is finished then I might as well work out too. I'll check out the body rock workouts but I generally seem to find it hard to keep up with any kind of video so I avoid them unless I am trying to see correct form. Steves videos are great for that too. I just figure that I eventually want to consistently work out at home 2-3 times a week so that I will not be spending every evening at the gym.